Putting right the wrongs

Guest's review of Travelzoo - www.travelzoo.com

“Putting right the wrongs”

Written on: 24/07/2014

We bought vouchers from Travelzoo for a hotel in the Lake District at Bowness-on-Windermere, which appeared to have all the right credentials but as with many Hotels these days it had overstated its facilities by some way. We were not satisfied with the amenities for the £200+ we had paid and asked for a refund from the Hotel which impolitely declined. The Manager resorted to a self pitying tirade about how upset the staff were that they had been criticised and used a defence which caused me to believe that my money was lost. I was irritated by its misrepresentation of it facilities and the attitude of the Manager and owner of the hotel who simply passed on the problem to his Manager who was not suited to dealing with anything seemingly other than compliments.

As a last resort I contacted Travelzoo and outlined my problem. The matter was escalated and reviewed by a Manager and my voucher cost was refunded a few days later. So, 10/10 for Travelzoo.

I was delighted at the outcome and it was pleasing on this occasion that there was an alternative to appealing to a rapacious hotel, which had a far greater opinion of itself than was deserved.

Whilst delighted with the outcome, it does however highlight the problem with the intermediaries like Travelzoo etc and the method of paying in advance which is also demanded by an increasing number of hotels. You have precious little leverage if you have already paid and have had a problem. I have had problems in the past with some hotels but raised the issue at checkout and have generally resolved the matter to mutual satisfaction.

I will avoid paying in advance wherever possible.