Be careful when booking with Wimdu!

Guest's review of Wimdu - www.wimdu.com

“Be careful when booking with Wimdu!”

Written on: 22/12/2013

From many complaints I have seen so far, this is a usual bad experience with Wimdu.
Booked a place in Paris, my money was withdrawn IMMEDIATELY from the credit card although it took 24 hours to confirm the booking. The host advertised as a nice French lady, turned out to be a company that sent me a long rental agreement with extra costs and 500 Euros deposit. I found all of these unacceptable.
I contacted Wimdu within 24 hrs and they said that the conditions of the rental were advertised and I have to pay 50% cancellation fee plus their fee of course. I contacted the host and was informed that Wimdu DOES NOT allow companies to identify themselves as companies on the Wimdu site, they instead provide names of non-existing individual landlords.
Now, It's unlikely but possible that I missed the strict conditions attached to the advertisement and wimdu staff were not impolite BUT the end effect is the same: a purposeful misrepresentation of reality by the company and a loss of 240 euros for me. I would have forgotten the unfortunate episode but meanwhile I read so many bad reviews of wimdu (wish I had read them before I booked) that I should really caution everyone to BE CAREFUL when you book with them and to DOUBLE and TRIPLE CHECK everything before you press that button!!! because, after you do, you're on your own!
Miltos

PS If you think that you’re having any kind of insurance protection (credit card or otherwise) in case of loss, forget it. I’ve tried it and the credit card informed me that Wimdu is a online “booking service” and has no legal obligation to each customers.