Caveat emptor!

AlisonWeir's review of Travel Republic - www.travelrepublic.co.uk

“Caveat emptor!”

Written on: 28/03/2014 by AlisonWeir (1 review written)

Have made a serious complaint to Travel Republic’s Chief Executive. Over a year ago I booked two rooms in the 4* Mercure Shakespeare at Stratford-upon-Avon through Travel Republic, for about £184. We leave for Stratford at 9.30am tomorrow morning. Today - only as a result of calling the hotel to confirm the bookings - I learned that both bookings had been cancelled. Travel Republic called around 6.30pm to inform me of that, and said something about a booking company going bankrupt 'two days ago', although my contract is clearly with Travel Republic, whose logo is on my confirmation emails and booking vouchers. I held on while they tried to find me another hotel. They could not find anything equivalent, only a hotel at a higher cost, and they asked me to hold on again while the manager authorised them to pay the extra - as I made it clear that I should not be out of pocket for something that is not my fault, and which has caused a lot of stress at this late stage. After waiting ages I was put through to a lady who knew nothing about the problem and was singularly unhelpful. At my insistence - I was going out and was already very late for a dinner due to the time I had been kept on the phone - I got her to agree to sort it out and have someone call me on my mobile while I was out. Another lady rang and said that they had nothing at the price I had paid, which is not surprising, considering that I had booked far ahead to get a good deal, knowing how expensive hotels can be in Stratford. She offered me a refund, but I said that Travel Republic should honour their part of the contract and find me rooms in a hotel in Stratford. Again I was kept waiting, then she told me I'd have to pay the difference. I said I was not doing that, considering that I had paid already for two rooms, and she said she would talk to someone else about it. She kept me waiting for ages then I was suddenly cut off, and I have not heard back. I could not call because I was a guest at a dinner. I got home, hoping that an email with a booking confirmation would be waiting for me, but there was nothing, and now you are closed until the morning. I have two RSC performances booked at Stratford tomorrow, the first at 1.30pm. Travel Republic have left me no choice but to secure the best deal I can at a hotel, and I will be billing them for the extra cost. Words fail me at the appalling way in which Travel Republic has handled this situation. What should have been lovely, well planned weekend away, preceded by a dinner with friends, has been ruined by the stress caused by their failure to rectify the situation speedily and helpfully. When I return home I will be taking this a lot further. In the meantime, I am expecting a prompt and satisfactory response tomorrow, and I will be asking them, what else could I have done in this situation other than book another hotel? If it was down to Travel Republic we would have nowhere to stay tomorrow night. Had I not called the hotel today, we would have turned up tomorrow and found that there were no rooms available. They should ask themselves how they would feel in such a situation. No, I wouldn't rate them at all as a company.