ABTA means NOTHING!!!

Guest's review of Travel Republic - www.travelrepublic.co.uk

“ABTA means NOTHING!!!”

Written on: 23/02/2014

Booked package holiday to Tenerife Friday night at agreed price, next morning get a call to say flight costs went up whilst booking Friday night so they will have to charge us another £30....what?! Do you not think if we had the money we would of used that £30 to upgrade to a better board, that's why we booked with you because you were cheaper....but not now!!! Checked the flights online Saturday morning, STILL AT THE PRICE WE ORIGINALLY PAID! Later that day, the flights went up by £8, not £30!! Travel republic advised if we didn't pay the extra they will cancel our booking and the flights were non refundable so we would only have the price of the hotel and transfer refunded...when the flights are the most expensive thing on your booking you have no friggin choice! They have you right where they want you! Also opting to go with travel republic was mainly because they are ABTA members and thought we would be safer if any trouble occurred, NO NOT THE CASE! We paid over £100 extra to go with a company we thought we were covered with but their ABTA means nothing as they act as an 'agent', if the 3rd party is not ABTA registered so accommodation, flight, transfer is NOT COVERED! Will not be going again with them!! Let's just hope the holiday goes without a hitch or I'll be going to trading standards for false advertisement of prices and that they are covered with ABTA when it means absolute bull!

Stepower's Comment

Written on: 24/04/2014

Fully agree on your ABTA comment. My take is the ABTA number is shown on TravelRepublic's website just as a smokescreen for them using non ABTA companies such as the Spanish based HotelBeds.com. An example when HotelBeds.com cancel your room for no reason, even on the day you turn up at the hotel, TravelRepublic will let you know its nothing to do with them and ABTA is meaningless on your booking. Why ABTA gives them a number and lets them deal this way I do not know, maybe their first priority is the industry rather than the customer. If you look very closely into the terms and conditions it is explained, but you really have to do your homework. So that ABTA logo for much of TravelRepublics sales is not a protection at all.It just gives you a sense of protection. I too am an ex-customer, but until it goes wrong you do not find these things out. Another point is their customer dept is shut from 8pm UK time, not much good as you are likely to be just starting your problems by then. I hope the holiday went ok because even with this lot I guess there are more satisfied than dissatisfied customers.