No clarity on costs OR charges

Guest's review of Travel Counsellors

“No clarity on costs OR charges”

Written on: 18/01/2014

Contacted them for advice/help with 2-week business multi-location trip, long haul, Business Class.

After initial enquiry which went well, several weeks of silence from their end. Resumed contact. They sprang into action with suggested itinerary.

Hours of my own research resulted in all but one location on their itinerary being rejected: too far to pointlessly travel away from the main route. After that I found my own hotels and booked them. All results were shunted through to TC and put into my own spreadsheet.

Eventually I got an itinerary which left out one hotel (the most expensive one) and a total which was £500 higher than I had already researched, including air tickets. There would have been another £100 charge for paying them by credit card.

I queried this, and the total mysteriously went down by £200, despite assurances that they can achieve great deals on hotels and airline tickets because of their great buying power. They bang on and on about your money being safe: what this means is that they will take a £4,000 deposit and not disappear with it. But to pay that £4,000 deposit by credit card they charge another £100. In essence, you will pay £100 for the guarantee that whilst you now have no contract with the credit card provider (since you are paying a 3rd party), it's ok, your money is safe with us.

The final "bill" was the last straw. It was, frankly, pathetic. At that point I realised that I was dealing with someone who made up figures as they went along. I cancelled, politely, and resumed booking everything myself, thus saving £600 from the intial quotation.

The only point in using this company is if you are not prepared to do any internet research yourself, are prepared to pay massive credit card charges, and want some mysterious confirmation that they will be there to help you 24/7 should need arise on your trip. Since I could hardly ever get hold of the TC in person, I even doubted that.

Travelcounsellorsltd's Comment

Written on: 21/01/2014

We are very disappointed to hear about your experience and would like to look into the matter further on your behalf. Here at Travel Counsellors we really do pride ourselves on the service our staff and agents provide, and if this has been unsatisfactory we will do everything we can to take your comments on-board and make sure that these problems do not occur again.

We know that you have now booked your own travel arrangements but we would really appreciate the opportunity to try to put this right. If you could please email me and provide me with some more details I will look into the problem further.