Hotel upgrades were 3 times the cost

Dennis456's review of Trailfinders

“Hotel upgrades were 3 times the cost”

Written on: 07/05/2014 by Dennis456 (1 review written)

After spending a number of weeks researching holidays to Peru we decided to book the "classic Peru" trip with Trailfinders. Before we went ahead to confirm the booking we asked if he could provide us with a quotation for upgrading 4 of the hotels on our itinerary ie. to 4 different hotels, all of which were on Trailfinder's approved list. To give me a feel for roughly how much extra it would be, I utilised various online booking websites to get quotes for both the original hotels, and the upgraded hotels. All hotels were available for the dates in question and I could easily have booked them myself online. I then subtracted the original prices from the new prices to give me a rough estimate of what I should expect to pay for the upgrades, It was £390. Trailfinders do not seem to be able to offer instant quotes, instead they refer the changes to someone in Peru, who then comes back with an upgrade cost. Hence I had to wait for 24 hours, I could have done it myself in 20 minutes. Trailfinders eventually phoned me, and asked for a staggering £1200 extra for the 4 upgrades. The representative kept repeating to me that there was more to it than simply changing hotels, but when pressed, he could not explain what he meant, nor was he willing to divulge the price breakdown for the extra £1200.
At one point he even challenged one of the hotel costs that I'd quoted to him, I immediately went through the online booking process for that hotel on my PC and demonstrated I was correct, I offered to send him a screen-print but he declined the offer. Even If I had kept the 4 original hotels and then booked the 4 extra hotels myself, It would still have cost £300 less than the Trailfinders quote.
A 200 percent markup is immoral and I told Trailfinders this. They were not willing to drop the price at all, and so we went elsewhere. I will never deal with trailfinders again.