Highlights of Scotland...or should I say 'downlights'

Guest's review of Sona Tours Ltd www.sonatours.co.uk

“Highlights of Scotland...or should I say 'downlights'”

Written on: 20/08/2013

I would say that you should only pick Scotland 4 days highlight tour if you want to see how a coach tour should not be done. I may be exaggerating but I am disappointed that the holiday did not reach my expectations. Below are some of the instances that may sound insignificant but in sum contributes to an unwelcome experience.
-Tour guide informed that the toilets in the coach are only for emergencies when the driver CAN’T stop; he promised that if we tell him earlier he may be able to make a short service stop. A passenger told him half hour earlier before the last pick up point in Coverntry that he will need to use the loo soon, so please try and accommodate him (around 10am). Driver refused to stop and drove on (there were toilets from the place passengers were picked up). We were told that there will be a stop in fifteen minutes (30 minutes actually, I counted) until then sit back and relax. How are we supposed to relax if our bladders are bursting? On top of that we could not use the emergency toilet ….for it was LOCKED. Key was with the driver and he could not open it. Why was it not open from the beginning? Was the driver so naïve to think that no-one in the space of 4 hours will need to pee? Not even the little kids or aged adults? When questioned, the driver was rude and tour manager tried to soothe us by going through UK laws about coach stopping for services (?) The drivers argument was that he has been waiting as long as us and he does not need to use the loo. Perhaps his stomach his use to it for it is his job? Perhaps he did not drink enough water? Perhaps his argument does not hold enough weight? Eventually when the whole coach protested he did stop making it out to be this huge favour his bestowing us. Overall, for long journeys more stop breaks are required to use the loo, freshen up and stretch out legs.
-Second day, itinerary change. Instead of staying at Inverness, we stayed at Aberdeen. I have no personal issue where we stayed but why were we not informed earlier rather than a few hours before we had to go and endure the long drive. At least we would have been mantally prepared for sitting in the coach for so long.
-Tour manager claimed Loch ness lake is so deep that no-one knows (not even scientists) how deep it runs. I am no expert by any means but it is strange that in this day and age when we have technology that can travel in space, light years away to carry out research and we cant find out how deep a lake is. One passenger googled the info and found that max depth is 227m. When questioned tour guide said Wikipedia was lying.

Baskets's Comment

Written on: 20/08/2013

I agree with everything said, especially the absence of breaks we got for a long journey. . The good points for that tour was the place Scotland itself, the accommodation and that our main driver was an absolute star.

Visitor77's Comment

Written on: 22/08/2013

Totally agree that our driver was a star .. understood our problems & did what was best & not go by the rule books of health and safety & UK laws about when and where a coach can stop

Visitor77's Comment

Written on: 22/08/2013

Agree with everything said , when i got a call from roopa after the tour asking me about my feedback about the tour .. i was told that i was the only person to complain about the above & the others were all happy with the tour .. not sure who the others were ...