Probably the worst holiday we have had!!

LAC.36's review of Simpson Travel - www.simpsontravel.com

“Probably the worst holiday we have had!!”

Written on: 19/12/2013 by LAC.36 (1 review written)

We have travelled for many years with a superb travel company who this year gave up their portfolio. I spent a long time trawling the internet to look for a match to the superb service that for over six years we had received from them. We are not rich, but we save hard for quality holidays. I chose Simpson Travel based on their great website, and being a Watford girl a feeling of camaraderie to the MD's blog.
After lengthy e-mails, we agreed on a 2 week 2 location holiday to Turkey.
One week at the Golden Key on the Bozburun peninsula and one week at the Dalyan River Suites.
I had made it clear that cleanliness was key over anything.
The reception at the airport was superb and the car hire was fantastic. Sadly that was the highlight.
The Golden Key accommodation was filthy and poor to say the least. I have reviewed this on Trip Advisor, what I believe was a balanced review.
The Dalyan was also far below expectations, however the saving grace was the owners desire to please and to try and make your holiday special. Again the review is on Trip Advisor. I am not here to review the property, only to review the agent.
Working in education I spend much time teaching young people about the investment in good customer service. Sadly Simpsons seem to have a strange idea of how to cope and help customers whose holidays have not gone well. Inevitably every travel agent will have dissatisfied customers. Having e-mailed Simpsons whilst on holiday regarding the issues we had faced and having informed the area rep that we wished to complain to the UK, we received nothing from Simpsons other than an e-mail saying our comments had been forwarded and someone would be in contact. On our return and with no response we contacted them again, and still nothing. Indeed it was only when I posted a review on Tripadvisor that they responded,not to me but on Tripadvisor! We were absolutely astounded. I was then promised a response after I sent a shirty e-mail threatening to publish my photos. This was from the MD who in fairnes to him seemed genuine, but informed me his son would respond (in charge of the Turkey portfolio). Sadly the son was in Turkey supposedly following up my complaint, which took about 3 weeks! When he did respond, his suggestion was that we had not been truthful and that we could never agree on what had happened!
Apparently our evidence and endless photos were not enough! Indeed I may as well have had a signed confession from the hotel, it would have made no difference. I guess they have so many satisfied customers that they do not need to listen to those who are upset.
I might add, to give you some perspective of how bad this holiday was, that on our "private transfer" back to the airport, our driver took us on a little trip to pick up a mate, who proceeded to sit next to our daughter and look down her top. Simpsons told us there was no evidence to support this allegation!! Really?!!! Apart from four of us in the taxi and a taxi driver who does not want to tell the truth! Was I supposed to film this? Beyond shocking!
So I guess my point is this....... All the great reviews are fine, but to me what makes a company is how they respond when things go wrong. We all hope our holidays will go well. Sadly, if it goes wrong, then with Simpsons........please expect nothing. Actually after a lot of threats they gave us £400 back off a £4500 holiday (originally £250), but I didn't want their money. I wanted an apology and for them to show us how they can get it right, I wanted them to show us how they really do it. Not free, but with a small discount for the bad experience. Simpsons are not interested in righting wrongs and sadly that attitude eventually will catch up with them. We will never travel nor recommend them and they need to address their customer service! Either way shame on you Simpsons.

Simpsontravel's Response to LAC.36's Review

Written on: 31/01/2014

I was very sorry that this reviewer remains disappointed with their experiences with Simpson Travel. We had been in contact regarding their holiday during their stay and once they returned, on several occasions.

It is our priority to make sure guests enjoy their holiday and if there is a problem our local teams will do their best to assist and settle any issues. It was our understanding that both hotels responded and resolved the issues the reviewer raised during their holiday. We take customer feedback seriously and the head of our Turkey portfolio investigated the comments made by this reviewer whilst in the country with the hotels and transfer company. It was not suggested that the reviewer was not being truthful and we apologise if this was the impression given.

The comments about the private transfer that the reviewer mentions was not something that we were initially aware of and once we were, was taken very seriously. We took action, investigating and speaking with the transfer company personally.

In our communications with this reviewer we conveyed our apologies and it was not our intention to leave matters unresolved. We believed a satisfactory resolution had been met.