Poor / Bad reviews removed by campsite owners

Guest's review of Pitchup.com - www.pitchup.com

“Poor / Bad reviews removed by campsite owners”

Written on: 25/08/2013

Pitchup seems to be a great idea for people looking for campsites and being able to read reviews, however, as site owners can then ask pitchup to remove any negative ones it all seems a little pointless.
A certain site in Cornwall that gets lots of bookings via pitchup has asked for a lot of negative reviews to be removed, this makes the campsite look better than it is, they do have a few small negative comments in some of the reviews, each time the campsite owner saying things like "this is not the opinion of many of our guest, just read our reviews"
ALL reviews. good or bad should be published, if site owners don't like it then they should ask to be removed from the website.
things like the electic hook-up points being over loaded by using spliters so that 6 or 8 units can be plugged in, electric cables going over the road, dirty toilets etc etc should be published.
Maybe a good idea would be to allow reviewers to be able to include photos in the reviews then campsite owners wouldn't be able to say something wasn't true and threaten pitch up with lawyers etc

Pitchup's Comment

Written on: 25/08/2013

In common with other review sites, for legal reasons we must offer campsite owners an opportunity to request removal of a review. Nearly all such requests are declined. However we are unable to publish reviews which are legally actionable (for example, defamatory reviews) or those from fictitious guests, as you will appreciate.

We do already have a screen to add photos on the page after the review submission screen.

We are obviously disappointed to receive such a poor rating on this site as we would have been happy to investigate this matter.

Hammer1965's Comment

Written on: 28/08/2013

As a concerned campsite owner i am reading these comments with great interest
It is important to ensure that all comments are based on facts and not conjecture
All campsites electrics are operated on a commercial rating and are well equipped to deal with adding additional outlets providing the correct cables are used and correct switches

The comment regarding dirty toilets can be harsh as no owners who are committed to their campsite would welcome this and i am pretty sure they will be pulling out their last remaining hairs from their head at the suggestion, as this can imply, that they don`t care which i can not believe is true

The suggestion that some how pitchup.com is to blame is completely misinformed. Pitchup.com like all review sites very rarely remove reviews They may modify them for legal reasons but this in fact not only protects them but also the reviewer as to make a defamatory/slanderous comment can find the person in question in court facing a libel case for which the financial penalties can be severe.
My suggestion is to contact the site and explain to them your concerns and offer them some positive feedback. If they then do not react then post your comments. This will have a far better reach and justification but if you do nothing then really you are equally to blame

If you have taken the time to write a review then clearly it does make perfect sense to communicate with the campsite in the first instance Often i have found that situations can be better understood from both parties. Many changes come about by positive feedback even if it is negative That is the outcome that all campsite owners are seeking in the long run

Fredcamper's Comment

Written on: 31/08/2013

hi thanks for your comments,

I must fully disagree with your statement "The using of splitters is widely used by many sites and poses no risk if they are used correctly" although they may not pose any risk, I have never in well over 20 years of camping seen any campsite use these splitters, when booking an electric pitch you expect to plug your lead straight into the electric box, if I had booked and paid for a 6, 10 or 16 amp pitch then that is what I would expect to get, i would not expect to have to share my amps between other pitches ??? no doubt if 2 or 3 people decide to boil a kettle at the same time it would/should trip the switch, very annoying. I really can't see any use of spitters for any campsite, to me its rather dishonest advertising the amps you get but having to share. Maybe in fact the campsite is just trying to get extra bookings and no doubt having more pitches than licensed for by the council??

Although comments regarding dirty toilets may seem harsh, if that, as a customer is what you found each and every time you go into the toilet/shower block then this is what you would write in a review.

thanks

Tinribs123's Comment

Written on: 19/09/2013

I agree with Fred if you have booked a hook up you would expect it to yourself but how about those who turn up late in mid summer and are desperate for a hook up? (I know it's their fault for waiting too late to get a pitch). From our experience they are more than happy to share a hook up and as our electricity supply is professionally checked annually, and our splitters are not left out in the rain, we are happy to use 3 way splitters. Splitters are perfectly safe to use and we have no problem with them - if they were not safe to use they would not be sold.

Fredcamper's Comment

Written on: 31/08/2013

hi, thanks for your reply.

I agree that a very small amount of reviews may be fictitious, however, i would expect most reviews left on your site are in fact ccustomers who booked via your website.

I would much rather see an edited review (something that you have done on a review left for the site mentioned above) than a review being removed altogether.

I must say that the owners reply's to any negative comments are rather funny.

I do think that you have a great site, and just hope that reviews are edited rather than removed.

Pitchup's Comment

Written on: 01/09/2013

Perhaps you could let us know which review you're complaining about so that we can investigate.

Tinribs123's Comment

Written on: 19/09/2013

Perhaps if reviewers had to have their names published they might be a little more honest in their reviews and would be less likely to write something they could not back up? We once had a review which complained of hair on the shower trays - in a block with no shower trays! Personally I would not write anything unless I had first brought it to the managers attention. I would certainly bring "8 units" plugged into one hook up to the managers attention immediately - I would not wait until I got home and hide behind an anonymous review!
If you owned a business you would have to advertise, and withdrawing your advert because someone lied about you online would not help your business. If we get what we see as a bad review we act on it however if it is a dishonest review it must be removed - surely you can see that is only fair?