I would not touch them with a ten foot pole

aussieinrome's review of Otel.com - www.otel.com

“I would not touch them with a ten foot pole”

Written on: 04/06/2013 by aussieinrome (1 review written)

Wanting to book a particular hotel in Rome (from Australia), Otel.com appeared to have the best rate. Made the booking, gave my credit card details, got a flash message that the funds were deposited to a bank in Turkey before the page quickly reverted back to the Otel.com home page. There was nothing else: no confirmation, no receipt.

I waited 30 minutes to see if any email confirmation would turn up, but again, nothing. I then attempted to ring their Australian toll-free number, but the number kept ringing with no one picking up. I then rang long-distance their US number, which picked up: it transferred to their call centre/office in Turkey. The fellow I spoke to claimed there was no record of any booking for me in their system, and no record of any credit card charge. He suggested I try again.

As a precaution I called my credit card provider, who advised me that a charge had been made by the parent company, in Turkey, and the charge was then reversed. The person at Otel.com was clearly lying. I advised my credit card provider to flag a warning on my account to not make any payments to Otel.com or their parent company.

I then went back to booking the same hotel in Rome through another provider (expedia.com.au)who charged a bit more but provided immediate confirmation of both the transaction and the hotel booking - much more professional. Out of curiosity, I went back and checked if Otel.com were still advertising this hotel: indeed they were, but the rate had now gone up. I would not deal with these guys again and would caution others.

Visit otel.com