Single female without accomodation!!!

jillkanga's review of Lowcostholidays.com - www.lowcostholidays.com

“Single female without accomodation!!!”

Written on: 24/09/2013 by jillkanga (1 review written)

I searched for suitable holiday as a single female - within 2 weeks of departure. I took 3 days to find appropriate accommodation - where I would feel safe and in a location I would feel comfortable with. Rather than confirm the booking online - I contacted a customer service advisor to book over the phone and speak to someone in person. I sought reassurance that I would NOT have any problems with my chosen accommodation. She assured me that the accommodation provider they use is rated very highly and that I would be indeed in the hotel I was about to book and pay for - in full. I felt reassured and started to look forward to my 1st holiday as a single woman - something I was nervous about.
When I arrived at my destination - Esperia Beach Rethymnon - Crete - at approx. 12.30am - I was greeted with a confused a troubled expression from the Manager - and my heart sank - with the slow realisation that I wasn't expected. There was no record of my booking - yet I had the printed accommodation voucher for the 10 days that I was in Crete for. I was 'put up' in 3 hotels in total -with the last one being the original one I had booked - but only after 5 days of my arrival. The accommodation offered and priced at was - was for single occupancy -sea-view. This was not the case at ANY time of my holiday. I had purposely chosen this accommodation as it was the ONLY hotel which was advertised as having a sea-view for single occupancy. As a single woman - alone in the resort - I did not plan to 'walk the streets' in the evenings to eat out. The board base was self catering and I had planned to have my eve meals on the balcony - relaxing with the sea-view. I chose this travel operator and accommodation - SOLELY because they were offering what I NEEDED. I could have opted to book the same holiday with 'travelrepublic.com' - but liked the fact that I could package the holiday - including flights and transfers without any fuss. There was only a minor difference in total cost between the travel agents.
Not only was I messed around with the accommodation aspect of my holiday - I also had a disastrous experience on my return transfer to the airport. I checked within the timescale advised - to see what my pick up time was for return transfer. The transfer arrangements - also under the management of LCH - had all details of my return flight (which had not changed). I confirmed the flight time for return. The coach picked me up on time - I was one of the first pick-ups. approx. 2 hours later I arrived at the airport - 5 mins after final 'baggage drop' - and was told that I was not able to check my suitcase in. I was informed that I was too late - and that I would have to pay a fee of 50 euros. I was disgusted and attempted to explain why I had been delayed and that I had been transferred to the airport late - and that I had come immediately to check in. This was ignored. I was then taken through the baggage checks and x-ray equipment. I was told to open my suitcase (the hold case - which I had already paid for previously) - and told that I had to remove any liquids. Purely because I had been delivered to the airport 5 mins late - I was now facing a further financial loss of approx. £200 in personal belongings - which I was told that I could not take onto the aircraft. When I arrived at the aircraft - my suitcase was taken to the hold!!!!! The case was NOT taken into the cabin - and yet I had to go through this humiliation and robbery.
I wrote an email while I was in the resort - regarding the accommodation issues - and was told to contact the in-resort customer service team - which I did. I did succeed in getting in touch with someone at the other end who promised to all me back the next day. No contact - during the remainder of my holiday. I have since sent another email - in the same style as this review and have received an automated response - to say that my complaint may take upto 6 weeks - before they have collected the evidence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am out of pocket by approx. £240 for the delayed transfer for my return and then there is the difference between what was paid for accommodation - and what I ended up having.
Im very disappointed in the fact that I took time and effort to research the most suitable online travel agent and accommodation. I trusted that I would actually get what I was paying for and that I would be experiencing what was being advertised and promised. For someone to say that their holiday ended in tears and humiliation - and all I wanted to do was get home asap - is a really sad story.

Visit lowcostholidays.com

Silvercarrs's Response to jillkanga's Review

Written on: 25/09/2013

I WOULD RECOMEND PEOPLE STAY CLEAR, I HAVE JUST HAD A NIGHTMARE WITH THEM NOT BOOKING MY HOTEL ACCOMODATION AFTER RINGING SPAIN DAILY. THEY TOLD ME THEY DO NOT BOOK THE ACCOMODATION IN THE CLIENTS NAME AND THAT THEY USE A DIFFERENT AGENT TO BOOK YOUR HOTEL." THIS IS NOT LEGAL" THE HOTEL TOLD ME MY NAME SHOULD BE CONFIRMED WHEN THEY RECEIVE BOOKINGS. I HAVE FOUND OUT SINCE THEY ARE NO LONGER A MEMBER OF ABTA, I WONDER WHY?. TO MANY COMPLAINTS MAYBE?. IF THEY ARE GOING THROUGH ANOTHER AGENT WHEN BOOKING YOUR ACCOMODATION, IS THIS SO YOU HAVE NO CLAIM ON THEM WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT YOUR DESTINATION. I HAVE LOST £230.00 DEP FOR A HOLIDAY BOOKED FOR XMAS BUT I THINK IT IS WELL WORTH THE LOSS! TO HAVE PEACE OF MIND WITH A MORE REPUTABLE COMPANY.

lowcostholidays.com