Food fiasco in the bar!

Sharon1963's review of LateRooms.com www.laterooms.com

“Food fiasco in the bar!”

Written on: 18/06/2013 by Sharon1963 (1 review written)

We arrived at the hotel to book in at around 6pm after sending a lovely day at the NEC visiting the Good Food Show. I asked the receptionist if it would be possible to book a table in the restaurant, she said she thought they were fully booked but would ring through and check which she did, she told us they could accomadate us 9.45pm, we decided that would be to late she then said that they served food in the bar so we decided to try that.

We went to our rooms which were excellent, we freshened up and at about 7.15pm made our way down to the bar, we found a table and sat down we must of been there for about 5 minutes of so but no came over to take an order for drinks so I went up to the bar to order, a man behind the bar told me he would send someone over to take our order I returned to the table and sat down probably for another 5 minutes of so before a waitress came over and took our drinks order. The drinks arrived and the waitress asked if we were ready to order food and we said yes but in the meantime my friend spilt some water while pouring it from a jug so we asked for a cloth which the waitress went off to get she came back with it and we wiped up the water she then left us without taking our food order. We then sat waiting again for her to come back but she didn't! Then the food fiasco started the couple sat to the left had the wrong meals delivered to their table so they sent it back. After waiting for about another 5 minutes I went off to find someone to take our food order which a waitress came and did.
We placed our order 2 Burgers, 1 Bagel and a Curry we waited I would say about 25 minutes for the meals to arrive and when they did 2 out of 3 lots of fries were cold so they were sent back, my friend with the curry started to eat only to discover that her curry was cold in the middle, we called over a waiter who took the curry only away leaving behind the rice and naan bread, the curry was gone so long that the rest of the meal then went cold so we complained and they took away the rest of the meal, when a new meal arrived the rest of us had almost finished but the waitress did get us all a complimentary drink. When we had all finished eating the empty plates sat on the table for a about 15 minutes before anyone came to clear them. By this time the table to the right of us had been occupied and couple sat who both ordered curry and yes you've guessed it 1 was cold so the same thing happened to them has us the cold one was taken away and by the time the new meal arrived the other person had finished.
Our plates were eventually cleared and the waitress asked if we would like anything else and we said not at the moment.
The table to our left is now occupied by a new couple who leave most of their meals, at this stage a lady who we heard say she is the duty supervisor and she offers them complimentary desserts.
A table in front of us is being used by another couple, when their food arrives there is only 1 main course and 1 side dish they had completely missed 1 main course and you've got it the man had finished by the time they came back with the lady's main course.
By this time we fancied a coffee but yet again I had to go and find someone to come and take the order, since clearing our plates no one had been over to our table to check we were still ok.
After having our coffee we went up to the bar to settle the bill, I asked the man behind the bar for the bill and he gave me someone elses bill, he went off to find a waitress who seemed to tell him which bill we needed and he printed out another bill which again was not for what we had had! He then went off to speak to someone else and came back and said that after our poor experience there would be no charge, we would have been happy to pay but may be not in full nor would we have been paying the service charge of 10% has indicated at the bottom of the menu.
It seemed to all of us that there was adequate staff on duty if only someone had taken charge, everyone just seemed to be wandering around but no one seemed taking control.
We all had a good nights sleep and got up to have breakfast the next morning not really knowing what to expect, but I have to say it was a totally different experience, staff that couldn't do enough to help you, lots of interaction with us checking all time that everything was alright.
All I can imagine is that had we been fortunate enough to have to had our dinner in the restaurant the previous evening our experience may have been quite different.

Visit laterooms.com