Hotel in wrong country

Lenmead's review of Lastminute www.lastminute.com

“Hotel in wrong country”

Written on: 11/04/2013 by Lenmead (1 review written)

Two days ago I went online looking for a holiday package to Gibraltar. I found exactly what I was looking for when I typed gibraltar in to the location box. I booked the flights and then on the next page saw a hotel, chose that and paid for the package. I got an email with the address of the hotel, which was in Spanish. At the time it didn't concern me. The next day I thought I better check if I needed to get a taxi from the airport to the hotel. When I checked on google earth the hotel was in Spain across the border. The problem here is that I need a visa to go to Spain and that's is why I searched for a package in Gibraltar. When I contacted lastminute.com the first and second persons that I spoke to basically told me I was the idiot for not knowing that Gibraltar was in Spain, the second person even went so far as to send me links to prove that this was the case. I kept sending the links back telling him to read them properly and they clearly state that Gibraltar is British and not Spanish. I then got handed over to another "supervisor" who told me the same thing and said I should have known that the hotel was in Spain as it has the Spanish code Su on it. (I really don't know the codes for any country even the ones I live in so how can they expect me to know one that I've never been to. Anyway after getting very heated they put me on to a very understanding lady who listened to my problem and stated that she did not know or have any interest in knowing the political history of Gibraltar. After much debating, arguing and checking on google, I was told its my problem and they would refund the money for the hotel but nothing else. My question now is do I just walk around Gibraltar for five days, sleeping on the beach or just cut my losses and lose all the money paid for flights, airport parking and a hotel night either side of the booking in the uk? I am truly disgusted with lastminute.com, even after receiving an "apology" letter, which again tells me it's my fault. And stating that they hope this incident won't influence any future decisions to do business with them. I will not be using them ever in the future and will tell everybody I know and more not to use them.

Visit lastminute.com