Need to know how to search!

doctoraaron's review of HouseTrip - www.housetrip.com

“Need to know how to search!”

Written on: 06/07/2014 by doctoraaron (1 review written)

I spent hours and hours looking for apartment rentals in Paris and in London. In the end, HouseTrip was where I rented both units. It may have been randon chance, but it may reflect that housetrip had a larger selection of available properties, or that their web site made it particularly easy both tho really try to understand what a property was like, where it was located, and communicate with owners and track these communications.
I did have one major problem, where I learned from the manager of a unit I had rented for five days in London that it was only going to be available for four days. They offered me another unit for 100 pounds less, but only after my vigorous objections did the offer get sweetened to 300 pounds and they offered to move our luggage from one unit to the next. After initially telling me the refund (I had paid in full in advance) would be paid in cash, I was subsequently told the refund would come through my credit card. So far I have seen no refund......
Part of the problem is with HouseTrip, however. In the negotiating process I learned that HouseTrip not only charges renters a booking fee, but takes a very substantial chunk off the owners' reciepts, giving them less room for negotiation on price when something like this arises. I think it is not right that HouseTrip is so opaque about how they make money.