Very high (and hidden) commission

Guest's review of HouseTrip - www.housetrip.com

“Very high (and hidden) commission”

Written on: 11/01/2014

Upon arrival at the property, I discovered I had paid almost 200 euros above the actual price. This is due to the 20% commission Housetrip automatically adds to the nightly rate as not to make it obvious, my bill only showed a 30 euro service charge.

I thought this was worth pointing out as I felt like Housetrip is trying to hide its actual cost and their customer service was not helpful at all when I enquired about the details of my bill over the phone. Many properties are listed on several websites so it is worth to shop around and maybe get a better deal elsewhere.

As for the property, it matched the description but would definitely require some freshening up and repairs. This turned out to be an overall negative experience i would not recommend to anyone.

Andrewhousetrip's Comment

Written on: 13/01/2014

Hi, I am sorry that you seem to have had a negative experience and there was some confusion with the payment for your property.

The per night price shown on our website is the price we ask Guests to pay - there are no hidden costs and everything is clearly stated before you submit any payment. The amount shown on our website includes the Host's chosen rate, as well as our service fee (typically 15-20%) added on top of the Host's rate. HouseTrip's fee for our service allows Hosts access to high quality Guests all over the world and added marketing for their properties, and it gives Guests an easy to use booking platform with access to hundreds of thousands of properties all over the world, which can be booked securely and allows Guests the safety net of our holiday guarantee, so they can rest easy knowing that we are here to help in case of any challenges with the booking. Booking directly from an owner can be a risky business, which is proven by the worldwide popularity of HouseTrip and similar booking platforms.

I am sorry if you do not feel our fee justifies the service, safety and choice you received, but wherever you decide to book your next holiday I wish you the best of luck.

Happy travels,
Andrew

Lena_In_Shanghai's Comment

Written on: 14/01/2014

Thanks for your reply. You must know this better than me: the commission is never clearly stated in any of the regular steps of a HouseTrip reservation. One has to read through the terms and conditions particularly carefully in order to get a vague estimation like the one you're giving right now (and I believe it says 10-20% on the website) but the actual amount is not mentioned during the reservation nor on the invoice the client receives ; one has to ask for a separate receipt from your customer service.

I would have not found out about this at all if the host hadn't given me their own invoice with a different amount, and here we come to the real reason for my unhappiness. The host claimed they had no idea of how much you charged on top of their nightly rate as this amount was directly received by you. Your customer service representative told me the host was lying as they paid for this service to you and then added the cost to my bill. This is where I feel mislead by your communication: I don't mind paying for service, choice and security as long as I know how much, and of preference, BEFORE I conclude the transaction.

It seems pretty intentional to me that the commission is not brought up in the FQA concerning the payment, and that you also erase any customer comments about it in the reviews. I take transparency and mutual trust as a prerequisite for a good commercial relationship and this obviously is my bad, in the future I will follow the advice of your customer service representative of shopping around more carefully.