Working towards 2nd free night we're unpleasantly surprised

Guest's review of Hotels.com - www.hotels.com

“Working towards 2nd free night we're unpleasantly...”

Written on: 05/01/2013

I have been a hotels.com customer for several years. Until today I have been happy with their service and deals.
I had reserved a room for a party of 3 (two adults, one child) in Niagara Falls to celebrate our 7 year old daughters birthday.
The day of the reservation one of the adults had to be admitted to hospital due to an emergency medical situation. I called hotels.com customer service and asked if I might be able to get our $50.00 hotel charge reimbursed or credited due to the nature of the circumstances. I was initially told to call back after 4.30pm as a manager would then be available to decide if we were eligible for any reimbursement. I phoned again as directed after 5.00pm and was informed that even though it was a medical emergency that was the cause of the cancellation, I would not be granted reimbursement or credit.
Having been a long standing customer who has recommended their service to friends and co-workers, I am feeling that is something I will no longer do. Had it been a "fault" on our part that was the cause of the cancellation, I would fully understand and accept forfeiture of the cost. This being a medical emergency though, I feel they could have been a little more considerate to our situation. My partner is still in hospital, my 7 year old daughter isn't getting her birthday weekend away and hotels.com won't even give us a partial credit.
Hey, maybe I'm over-stressed by the days events? I know in future I won't be recommending hotels.com services to friends and co-workers, that's for sure !
On the plus side of things, the car rental agency "Enterprise", and Niagara Falls View Adventure Water Park Hampton/Hilton were both gracious and understanding, offering us full rebates without penalty.

That's my review, I hope someone finds it useful, for as my grandmother always used to say... "Forewarned is Forearmed"
Good Luck !