AWFUL! Bad customer service,inflexible,outrageous charges!

billbo21's review of Hays Travel www.haystravel.co.uk

“AWFUL! Bad customer service,inflexible,outrageous charges!”

Written on: 10/01/2014 by billbo21 (1 review written)

I had booked to go to Portugal with this company on holiday, a 7 day "cheapie"! Several months before my departure, due to personal circumstances, I changed my name! I informed Hay's and was told it would be a whopping £125 to change the name...even though it was months before and no tickets had been issued! I pointed out that this was HALF the cost of the entire holiday again but was told there was nothing they could do as it was the suppliers charges! They refused to help me any further, or even speak to me (all I got was rigid email replies)! When I said I would rather cancel than pay the outrageous admin fees I was told I would lose my FULL deposit of £256 (the holiday was only £430) and would still have to pay part of my accommodation cost! When I referred them to their own accommodation cancellation policy (which stated that between 296 days and 9 days prior to departure there are NO CANCELLATION FEES) I received an email back saying that was the policy of the "intermediary" and that Hays still intended to pursue me for 25% of the accommodation cost, bringing the total they wanted to take off me to £325 out of £430 for a holiday I was no longer going to go on and that they could re-sell! All this took place WELL OVER THREE MONTHS before depature, and only occurred due to their EXTORTIONATE amendment charge...the highest I have EVER come across! DON'T TOUCH HAY'S TRAVEL WITH A BARGEPOLE!!!