Ridiculous Cancellation Policy!

Karkiew's review of Flight Hub www.flighthub.com

“Ridiculous Cancellation Policy! ”

Written on: 23/02/2014 by Karkiew (1 review written)

I have never felt the need to sign on to a travel forum to bash a service before now, but I am absolutely appalled by Flighthub's policies and feel the need to warn other travellers (particularly young people on a budget like myself)! I booked a flight from Puerto Vallarta to Vancouver with Flighthub through Delta Airlines (who I have absolutely no problem with, they were very cordial with me on the phone and seem like a classy company). I was unable to go on my trip due to weather conditions trapping me on Vancouver Island. I had booked my return flight with Flighthub earlier that day, and had purchased their $20 "Best Purchase Guarantee," which states that you can cancel your flight anytime within the same day you booked it with no penalty. So at 9PM when my ferry was cancelled to leave for my trip, I called Flighthub to cancel my flight. Unfortunately, their offices close at midnight Eastern time and there was no one to take my call. I woke up at 5 the next morning to contact their offices the second they opened (8 AM Eastern) to cancel my flight, and was told that there was nothing they could do as I had missed the deadline to cancel. I told them about the time difference and was told I should have emailed them (a method of communication mysteriously absent from their website). I argued that since their office had opened two minutes earlier and they would have received the email at the same time I was speaking to them anyway, couldn't they just cancel the flight anyways? I was told that yes, they could cancel it, but it would cost me the $200 fee charged by the airline, plus an additional $150 charged by Flighthub themselves, totalling $35 MORE than I paid for my ticket in the first place. After talking to six different people both with Delta (again, not their fault, very nice people) and with Flighthub, I resigned myself to the fact that this is just what happens when you buy cheap tickets.

Until I got my credit card bill. There were two separate charges - $265 from Delta airlines for the ticket, and $50 from Flighthub for the "service" of finding this cheaper flight for me and booking it through a unhelpful, loop-hole driven third-party site that removed any chance of credits or refunds from the airline, had a tougher cancellation policy, and left me over $300 poorer. I did some more research and realized that you can look up flights on Flighthub.com, see which airline is providing the cheapest flight, and book directly through the airline themselves to not only save $50, but to protect yourself from their inadequate customer service and financially detrimental policies.