Just another negative surprise

Guest's review of Expedia - www.expedia.com

“Just another negative surprise”

Written on: 22/08/2013

The trouble is that when we use big companies like Expedia we assume things should go right, so we don't always check complaint sites first. My wrong assumption. This is about a hotel booking that went bad but I caught it in time.

Wanted to book a hotel, got the information and price. OK so far. Pre-booking info said "breakfast included". (I printed this sheet.) Booked the room for several nights, and the confirmation came back "includes breakfast", but right next to it, a notice that "hotel charges extra for breakfast." (I printed this too.) They charged my credit crd immediately, with refundable cancellation possible.

So I logged in, used their Expedia contact form, and noted they said they "aim to reply within 48 hours". I asked which was right: breakfast or no breakfast? (I mean, life is full of bigger problems, but I wanted to know.) No answer for five days, so I phoned. The woman said "no breakfast." I said "if no breakfast, why does the confirmation slip say "breakfast included?" She said "I will call the hotel for you." I told her this phone call from me to her would cost more than the breakfast, so thanks but no thanks, and hung up. As part of this, she told me "you wrote to us through an unmonitored website, that's why nobody answered." I pointed out I had gotten an electronic advice of receipt, and that the message was from my LOGGED-IN account.

Anyway, I cancelled the Expedia booking online and am now waiting for the credit card refund. Meanwhile, the next day, I got an e-mail from Expedia saying "no breakfast." Ha ha. Even with a printed copy of the confirmation in front of me, and with that "breakfast included" right there on the screen, she still insisted I was wrong.

Footnote: I then used another big booking site to book the same room at the same hotel; and credit card will not be charged in advance. Let's assume I will actually get Expedia's refund--when that happens, I will cancel my long-standing account with them and enable spam block to stop their ads. End of my story. Thanks for reading.