Ripped off 2 days prior to departure

Guest's review of Directline Holidays www.directline-holidays.co.uk

“Ripped off 2 days prior to departure”

Written on: 04/02/2014

We booked a holiday to Cyprus with Direct Line in 2013. Two days prior to departure, Direct Line called us and said that our Aegean Airlines 'direct' flight from Gatwick to Larnaca had been cancelled. They offered us the option of flying indirect via Athens which meant the total travel time was almost 24 hours. We refused. We had not booked a year in advance to travel indirect. After refusing, we were offered Easyjet flights at the additional cost of £200. We had no option but to pay it or lose our holiday. Our hands were tied. This put a real dampner on our holiday as the £200 came out of our holiday spending money. I contacted Direct Line, ATOL and ABTA about this and there was nothing anyone could do to refund us our loss. I would NEVER book a holiday through Direct Line again. Be very weary if you think you are booking with a travel agent. The first clue to be aware of is if the agent books the flight and hotel separately. Direct Line are merely 'organisers' - please see their Terms and Conditions under the heading 'Our Responsibilities to you in respect of Package Holidays' - Point 1. Basically, this means that they are not responsible for issues with the flight or the hotel. If I had known this in the first place, I would have booked the flight and hotel myself.

Visit directline-holidays.co.uk