Be wary of making changes once booked

Guest's review of Booking.com - www.booking.com

“Be wary of making changes once booked”

Written on: 22/08/2013

Had some good experiences with Booking.com -- booked a few hotels through this past year and nothing unexpected happened. They were simple bookings... I made no special requests and had no changes or corrections online via Booking.com or directly with the hotel. All went well.

However, my most recent experience has left me disappointed enough that I will only book directly through the hotels from now on, or if I try a third party site, it absolutely won't be via Booking.com.

I had a confirmed reservation for a King-Bed room. I needed the hotel to know we would require a rollaway bed be put in the room (usually for an additional small daily fee). I submitted this request for a rollaway bed via the Booking.com site. What happened instead was that it appeared that Booking.com changed our reservation from a King-Bed room to a King-Bed room With Sofa Bed -- at least according to the email they sent us. That is an entirely different type of room and is significantly more costly. I did not ask for this room upgrade. By requesting a King-Bed With Sofa Bed, they lost us our original low price on the King-Bed room and we now had a new higher priced quote for an upgraded room. We decided to just live with it and take the upgraded room... but when we checked in at the hotel a few days later, it was only to discover that Booking.com never actually upgraded our room to a King-Bed With Sofa Bed. They just requested an upgrade, leaving us only guaranteed with our original King-Bed room. That would have been totally fine... but in doing this, Booking.com somehow managed to permanently mess up our original confirmed low price. I'm still trying to figure out how Booking.com managed to lose our $796 for 4-nights King-Bed room (confirmed reservation) and replace it with a $1076 for 4-nights King-Bed room.

The hotel couldn't/wouldn't do anything on their end since the reservation was generated through booking.com and the hotel just takes what's ultimately fed to them from these third party sites. This one experience has taught me the hard way that booking through a third party site is way more "iffy" than I had understood.

Short story version: had Booking.com request a rollaway bed for us; instead they resubmitted and reconfirmed our exact same reservation but for $300 more. Argh. Never again.

Booking.comteam's Comment

Written on: 22/08/2013

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear of your recent experience. I'd like to look into this further. Could you post your booking number for me?

Regards, Kelly
Booking.com Team

Dogbitez's Comment

Written on: 26/08/2013

Booking number was 194920932

Original booking was for 1 King Room Total Price CAD 796.

Used your online form to request a rollaway bed (which I knew from the hotel was just $20 additional per day).

Received a new booking for 1 King Room with Sofa Bed
Total Price CAD 1,076.

Definitely did NOT ask for a new room type, just for a rollaway bed. But what was most upsetting was discovering upon check-in that the King with Sofa Bed wasn't even confirmed -- we were still booked into a regular King. So my very ordinary request that a rollaway bed be brought to the room, caused a few hundred dollars price jump thanks to Booking.com handling that simple request.

Why Booking.com released my first confirmed room and rebooked it at a new higher price, is beyond me. I booked early knowing that hotel would become more costly as the days neared. Booking.com really messed it up for me. I'm kicking myself for trusting it.

Booking.comteam's Comment

Written on: 28/08/2013

Hello,

Thank you for providing this information for me. I'm going to look into this further and I will be in contact shortly by phone or e-mail.

Regards, Kelly
Booking.com Team

Dogbitez's Comment

Written on: 17/09/2013

**** FOUR STARS FOR BOOKING.COM

I needed to come back to this review and update it. I don't want to remove it because what happened to my reservation... happened. There's no changing that. I think there is some inherent danger with making changes to your reservation online if it's not just a simple change of dates. In future, if I need to request an extra bed or whatever, I'll call the hotel or I'll call Booking.com... I won't use the online form again. That said...

Booking.com absolutely came through on this for me. I received an email response indicating that they'd look into the circumstances of my reservation. A day or so after that, I received a phone call from an extremely nice and downright bubbly rep who promised that either the hotel or Booking.com would refund the difference between the price I originally booked and the upgraded price I had to pay. Another few days passed and lo and behold my credit card had been refunded. I posted my original review here on August 22nd. My refund was received on September 5th.

I have to commend Booking.com for EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE. Dang, I'm impressed. I'd like to erase my snarky posts about my reservation problem, but I think it's more awesome, frankly, to see how responsive Booking.com was to a customer complaint (I didn't even ask for anything, I was simply posting a disappointed review) and how quickly they made things right.

I've booked again now with Booking.com and will continue to do so with a good deal of confidence.