Not very impressed

Guest's review of Awesome Weekends

“Not very impressed ”

Written on: 03/09/2014

Having just returned from a hen do for 14 I feel the need to comment on my experiences. The hotel we were sent to was very poor. I know that we are not paying a great deal but how it was ever given 2* is beyond me. The girl organising had to phone several times before she got an answer from awesome weekends asking them to find another hotel as we were not prepared to stay in this one. After being transferred to a manager another hotel was found just around the corner and was much better, so thank you.

Yes, everyone enjoyed the weekend but there were many aspects about the whole process which I am not happy about.

1. Using the website to make payments is great but a surcharge every time a payment is made by an individual is wrong. A one off booking fee I can accept but paying for electronic transfer for every transaction is wrong.

2. As it was the weekend the lights went on and naturally very busy we thought it a good idea to book a restaurant rather than just turning up. Expensive mistake. The food was very good, the restaurant staff excellent but the markup for making the booking extortionate. The 2 course meal was £12.50. We paid £20. That's £7.50 per person. Having checked the T& C I can find no mention of there being a surcharge for this service. I think the company should be clear about their charges. I also note that they do not give refunds for anything.

3. Wristbands were included for the pleasure beach, fine. Problem - why aren't they delivered to the hotel in the same way as the VIP wristbands? We stood in a queue for over an hour to get in. What a waste of time.

4. We were booked for the Adonis show. We arrived outside the venue about 10 mins before it opened. The doors were due to open at 7pm. We waited, they stayed shut. Then a lady came down the road to find us saying that the venue had changed and to follow her, we would never have found it otherwise. It would have been simple to have communicated that information to us. Fortunately we were not late.

On a positive note the hotel was within walking distance of the clubs and town centre which made it easy to get into town.

Whilst I have not had to deal with the overal organising of the trip and was just a participant I know from talking to the girl that did that the level of service she received when contacting the company was very mixed. Some staff were dam right rude, others were very helpful. I have tried to make my feedback constructive and within every organisation there is always room for improvement.

Awesomeboss's Comment

Written on: 09/09/2014

It is interesting that you have chosen the title of your review 'Not very impressed' yet in the first paragraph you state 'everyone enjoyed the weekend'. I know that Awesome Weekends worked extremely hard to put together a cost-effective memorable weekend for you and your party.

I will deal with your points as you have set them out. It is clear that the group were not happy on arrival at the allocated hotel and calls were made after 5pm on a friday to register your concerns. It took time to get through to us as after 5pm on a friday we have two staff on duty to deal with customer service issues and we are a very busy company with over 2500 customers arriving at hotels across the UK on this day. We listened to your concerns and acted promptly, without delay and made new arrangements for your group. We received no thanks for this. Most UK companies in our sector do not even answer the phone after 5pm on a friday! We dealt with this issue quickly and efficiently.

1) When a client books a weekend with us, from the outset they are advised of the different payment options available to them. Two of these options are free of charge i.e Internet bank payments and or cheques.

We also offer the option for individuals within the group to pay individually by a secure payment portal using a debit or credit card. The cost of building this system and processing payments is absorbed by a small fee which is identified to the client before they make a payment.

The system referred to was one of the main reasons we were voted 'Best Stag & Hen Provider' for 2012/2013 due to the easy booking and payment process.

All of your group, including yourself could easily have avoided the small surcharges but you chose not to.

2) You booked a package priced at £124.00 per person for which you received;

2 nights hotel with full english breakfast
Vip nightlife wristbands
An unlimited ride Pleasure Beach Wristband
A ticket to The Adonis cabaret show
A meal in an American Diner

In the package price is a 'margin' which is our profit. There is no onus on us to breakdown the cost of each element of the package.

3) You received pleasure beach vouchers which were at your hotel with your Vip wristbands. These vouchers can be exchanged for wristbands at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. This method is insisted upon by Blackpool Pleasure Beach and it is highly likely that anyone visiting this attraction would be subject to a queue and a delay in entry.

4) Adonis cabaret changed the venue of the show 10 minutes before the event was due to start. How we were supposed to communicate this to you is beyond me but nevertheless, you were informed of the change. You did attend the show and i'm sure you had a great time. To blame Awesome Weekends for this is churlish at best.

5) A positive note! Hurray! Looks like we got that bit right! Hotel within walking distance of the town.

6) Having worked with my staff for over 10 years, I can say hand on heart that none of them are rude. They may sometimes be firm when asked to do the impossible, but are never rude.

Over 100,000 clients have used Awesome Weekends so far in 2014 and whilst we do not claim to be perfect, as a family business, we often go the extra mile to help our customers, which is demonstrated in this instance by how we quickly dealt with the issue of your hotel to your entire satisfaction.

Steve Hopkins