Cheap at twice the price!

• Reliability

• Cleanliness

Armslength777's review of Virgin Trains

“Cheap at twice the price!”

Written on: 10/11/2012 by Armslength777 (2 reviews written)

I treated myself to a theatre trip to the West End from Liverpool on Thursday 8 November 2012 to see Blood Brothers.

I started looking at the travel options about 4 weeks ago and noticed off-peak Virgin Pendalino service was only £36.50 out and £49.50 return in the evening by booking in advance!

I've never travelled first classs before but at this price and for my treat, I took it. Seats are more comfortable and the service is great. Free tea, coffee, cold drinks, wine etc. and a rather tasty spicey prawn wrap!

We were late leaving Euston on the return by about 20 minutes but this was due to a sdignalling problem affecting nealy all trains into London. Virgin turned the train around very quickly and the driver made up 10 minutes on the trip back.

This is the first time I've had to pay for my own trip - as opposed to business trips paid for by the company [2nd class by the way] - and I was very please with the result.

I travel with Virgin between Liverpool and London a few times per year and have always enjoyed the trip. Any delays have been due to other issues such as a broken down freight train ahead - not Virgin's fault. the only time I've been delayed by Virgin was at Stafford once when the air con failed in coach B abd the driver appologised saying he needed to 'reboot the train'!!! This took 20 minutes but was fascinating!

I am very pleased Virgin still has the franchise for now because I do not see how it could be done better. I love the trains and the staff are great and with a first class ticket so cheap, what else is there? I really hope they keep it in the coming review.

Well done, Virgin!