Very Rude

• Reliability

• Cleanliness

mexus1's review of Arriva Trains Wales

“Very Rude”

Written on: 23/07/2011 by mexus1 (1 review written)

I was appalled with the rude and intimidating attitude by the conductor (Michelle) on my courney from Chepstow to Cardiff Central Station. I had bought my child return ticket at the station. During the ticket inspection and asked to see my ticket. As i am near 16 I was expecting that it was possible that I would be questioned about my age and had brought a photo copy of my passport with me. She asked me my date of birth and I told her; she then proceeded to tell me that I was lying and that I was infact 18. She also claimed that my friend (who smokes) was 18, saying that she had to be 18 to smoke. Whereas the truth was that I was 15 and she was 16 and legally allowed to smoke but not buy cigarettes. She was talking to both of us in a very rude and threatening manner, threatening us with £25 fines. After I got the chance to prove my age all she had to say was "your fine", no apology whatsoever.

She made my friend pay for a new adult ticket and refused to refund her original. Her reason was that it was bought "fraudulently". Fraud however implies that there was some sort of misrepresentation, yet when my friend bought her ticket she asked for a return to Cardiff and did not specify a child ticket. Since the law does not see silence as misrepresentation I am under the impression that there was no fraud. The mistake was made by the person at the station kiosk. And since mistake is not a reason the void a contract I was very annoyed by this conductor.

• Train