Love My Scooter

• Build quality

• Reliability

crmpacer's review of Honda GL500 Silverwing Interstate

“Love My Scooter”

Written on: 17/10/2012 by crmpacer (1 review written)

I am a full time adult student and due to our lacklustre economy I was looking for a way to help save some money from our family budget.

My wife was not thrilled about me buying my first bike but it sort of fell into my lap.

My bike is a 1982 Honda Silverwing GL500 with 38,000 miles on it. I picked the bike up for $300 and it was the best money I could have spent. Currently not in the prettiest shape but I sank some money on the particular's and am very happy with my purchase. I replaced the brakes, seat covers, all fluids, mirrors, tires and did a chemical rebuild on the carburettor. (Empty gas tank, fill with 100% SEAFOAM, start, let idle, let sit overnight with tank and carb full of SEAFOAM and repeat process for two-three days, fill tank with gas and then test ride). The bike went from a rough running hard starting bike to a bike that purrs like a kitten and starts first try every time.

I now use this bike to commute the 30 round trip to class and find the bike exhilarating. Its no speed demon but it does a good job from zero to 60 miles per hour. Excellent on gas and the perfect bike for me as a beginner (not all beginners should start with a top heavy bike but I am a big guy). I was not wanting too much power for my first bike so I got exactly what I asked for. I now love my touring bike so much that I am making eventual plans for a full dress bike that my wife and I can tour on and vacation with. Every review I have read online talks about the excellent engine design and great dependability of the bike. I am looking forward to many years on open roads and am itching for a road trip.

• 1982