Not Impressed With Evan Evans

• Location

stephi.campbell's review of Discount London Tours - www.discount-london-tours.com

“Not Impressed With Evan Evans”

Written on: 21/05/2012 by stephi.campbell (1 review written)

My boyfriend and I booked tour 29: Windsor Castle, Oxford and Stonehenge tour at sunset on May 11, 2012. We chose this tour simply because of the opportunity to go inside the stones at Stonehenge; however, our actual tour was a disaster from beginning to end.

The tour bus was 45 minutes late picking us up from our pick-up point. I wasn't aware that it was an "audio guide" at Windsor Castle and would have much preferred our actual tour guide. The State Apartments were closed that day and we were not offered any discounted rate. The walking tour of Oxford felt extremely rushed, and when we finally got to Christ Church college we were swiftly shooed off the property after 5 minutes and before we got to see inside the dining hall - the famous Harry Potter scene - because visiting hours were over. When the walking tour ended we had about 20 minutes of "free time" in which we felt pressed to not venture too far in case we couldn't find our way back to the bus (we weren't given a map of the area) - and somebody was actually left behind at Windsor Castle. The real disaster was at Stonehenge - what our entire tour bus had been waiting for all day. The tour had been double-booked with another tour company and we were given only 15 minutes of private time inside the stones. We all felt completely rushed and unimpressed - we were supposed to have at least 45 minutes! Our tour guide, William, was extremely embarrassed but offered no compensation besides a simple apology. The entire day felt completely disorganized.

In the end, I (we) felt completely ripped off. We did not get what we paid for - and we paid a lot!!! I would never book another tour with Evan Evans Tours or recommend them to my family or friends. That's a shame because I was actually hoping to do so. I think the security guard at Stonehenge said it best, "Don't book a tour with Evan Evans, they're rubbish!"

• Bus

Tour Operator

By Eurotraveller4

Written on: 22/05/2012

Dear Stephi

I'm very, very sorry - this tour was certainly not up to our usual standards.

I've spoken to the Evan Evans operations team and apparently there was a delay at the first pick-up, which impacted on the entire day. The Windsor Castle state apartments were closed on the 11th, we list these dates on the website, but still operate tours because we can still go into the castle grounds and see Queen Mary’s Dolls House and St Georges Chapel.

But there is no excuse for missing out at Christ Church and Stonehenge. While you were able to go into Christ Church, the dining room closes early, which must have been a big disappointment; and you should have been given at least 45 minutes at Stonehenge. There wasn't a double booking, but we do have a fixed time slot and we arrived late.

As you say, you paid a lot of money for the tour and we did not deliver the product as promised. We will be giving you a full refund for this tour, and if you (or a friend) would like to book another tour with us, please let me know and we can arrange a 50% discount.

Regards, David