Beware--Academic Tours & Travel

From 1 review

clc1's review of Academic Tours and Travel - www.academictours.com

“Beware--Academic Tours and Travel”

Written on: 21/07/2014 by clc1 (0 reviews written)

Below is a chronology of my experiences dealing with Academic Tours and Travel, 68-33 Dartmouth Street, Suite #2, Forest Hills, NY, 11375 (Telephone Number 718-690-3055).

After a series of emails between Academic Tours and Travel and myself. from June 13-21, 2013, my wife and I signed up for a September, 2014, three week tour--adding one week in Sardinia to their advertised two week Malta and Sicily Delight Tour. In an email dated June 19, 2013, Academic Tours stated “As previously mentioned everything is fully refundable up to 30 days prior to departure, minus a $100 per person administrative fee.” The land cost of the trip was $8950 and a deposit of $3300 was mailed to Academic Tours on June 21, 2013. On June 29, 2013, Academic Tours emailed “just a short note to let you know we received your check and invoice. Thank you.”

On November 3, 2013, I mailed a letter to Academic Tours cancelling the trip because of pressing health issues and concerns. I asked for a refund of my deposit minus cancellation fees. On November 18, 2013, I emailed them again asking when we could expect the return of our deposit. In response, Academic Tours on the same day emailed “We have submitted claims to all of our various suppliers for them to refund your money as expeditiously as possible. As soon as we receive the money from them we will forward it on to you in the form of a check.”

I emailed Academic Tours on January 19, 2014, April 21, 2014, and on May 5, 2014, inquiring about the status of our refund. NO RESPONSE.

I called Academic Tours on July 1, 2 and 8. All three calls were forwarded to voicemail with the same message: “We are unable to take your call. We are busy assisting other customers. Your call is very important to us. Please leave a detailed message and one of our agents will return your call as soon as possible. Have a blessed day.” There has been NO RESPONSE.

I emailed Academic Tours on July 9, 2014, inquiring one more time on the status of our refund and possible actions I would take if “Academic Tours has not returned our money by Wednesday, July 16, 2014”. NO RESPONSE.