Absolutely faultless

• Quality

stevecavery's review of Google Nexus 7

Google Nexus 7

“Absolutely faultless”

Written on: 02/01/2013 by stevecavery (1 review written)

I once owned an iPad 2, which I bought for £399 in 2011. I liked it, but felt that I did not use it enough to justify the price tag. I used it a lot, but just not enough. After selling it I used a netbook for 6 months, which was much cheaper (£100 used) and could do a lot more.

I chose the Nexus 7 as it is literally the barebones of everything Google - it is simple with no pre-installed bloatware; it is blindingly fast and has an impressive set of features. £159 is nothing for such an excellent device, and it feels much more suited to my requirements. I do not feel like I have wasted a penny, or that I have overestimated how much I will use it. I have the 16GB model, and as long as I keep my music collection on my iPhone I find that I am never short on space in the Nexus.

The only small niggle I have with it is the Android keyboard. It is probably the worst on-screen keyboard I have ever used, and you have to literally redevelop your muscle memory to adapt to it. This can be solved by installing a third-party one or connecting a physical one via Bluetooth or USB (the latter via an OTG cable) though, so you won't be stuck with it.

Just buy it; unless you have money streaming out of your pockets or you're a die hard iOS fanatic, everything feels as it should with the Nexus 7. While you're at it, buy an unlocked Nexus 4 straight from Google, too, and you'll have the most minimalist yet functional pair of devices on the market today.