Ok first yr, then repetitive & not good at teaching to swim

64zoolane's review of Water Babies Baby Swimming Classes

“Ok first yr, then repetitive & not good at teaching to...”

Written on: 02/01/2012 by 64zoolane (1 review written)

My sons have both attended waterbabaies and I wouldn't recommend it to others. There are better swim schools. It was convenient for me since it was the only way I could manage to take two kids under 3 swimming on my own, so I took the £12 per half hour, each, on the chin.

Waterbabies advertise that they teach classes up to school age, but this is not the necessarily true for your child. They will not continue a class if the numbers drop below 4 so to prevent this they merge groups...you're not told when this will happen and have paid for the next term by the time it has and sometimes the aptitude of classes it not well matched. If they cannot merge groups they will stop the class with a few weeks notice.

I found that for the first year I was happy with the classes, in that it gives you some structure to the half hour you spent in the water, however, when you have 2 kids attending lessons it really does make you realise how repetitive the lessons are and how slow progress is. No great surprise if you consider by the time you take out getting in the pool and finishing on two rounds of twinkle twinkle, with 8 babies in a class, you've only got time for 3 teacher led exercises that takes a minute per child.

At 3 yrs old your child my be able to struggle through the water with no style. A large part of this is to do with the fact that no child has the muscle strength to swim when it is very young, but remember that this will have cost you something approaching £1,500.

There are other swim schools that are a lot lot cheaper and achieve better results. To put it in perspective my kids are about to start one to one lessons for £13 per half hr.

I could ramble on, but to summarise my thoughts after having spent more than £2k on water babies lessons. It's "nice", but don't expect them to learn to swim.

Amel's Response to 64zoolane's Review

Written on: 20/01/2012

could you give me some names of schools?the one to one lessons please?
i would appreciate if you can send me the name by email on: rajehia at gmail.com
thanks a lot

Squirtswimmers's Response to 64zoolane's Review

Written on: 03/04/2013

"At 3 yrs old your child my be able to struggle through the water with no style. A large part of this is to do with the fact that no child has the muscle strength to swim when it is very young"

Most ridiculous comment I have ever read. I do apologise, I was just reading though the reviews as I was thinking of signing up. This statement could not get any further from the truth. Children from the age of 18months are more than capable swimming with no aid, arms, legs, with a 'doggy paddle' technique.

I have thought this was for 3 years now.