A Contrarian Review

LouC547's review of Anthony Sylvan Pools - www.anthonysylvan.com

Anthony Sylvan Pools - www.anthonysylvan.com

“A Contrarian Review”

Written on: 25/06/2013 by LouC547 (1 review written)

When my wife told me she wanted a pool installed in conjunction with our new home construction, I fought her tooth and nail. I had heard horror stories from friends and read many reviews online about Anthony & Sylvan as well as every other pool company I could find. I was scared.

As usual, my wife won the arguement and we told our builder (Sekas Homes in Vienna VA) we wanted him to contract with someone for the pool. We didn't tell him who to contract with but expressed our concerns about quality. He told us not to worry as he had worked with Anthony & Sylvan on numerous occasions and they had always done quality work. I had to pay extra because I was doing this through the builder, but I thought it would be a good "insurance policy" in case things did not go well - especially during our first year of ownership.

We have been in our home for just over one month now and I want everyone to know that I have been nothing but happy with Anthony & Sylvan thus far. Not only is the pool beautiful and fun but their customer service has been supurb. Let me be more specific:

I elected to have a peanut shapped pool and in-ground hot tub installed. The pool is about 25,000 gallons and finished with a cobalt blue plaster. It has slate stone coping and an inexpensive paver deck surrounding. The design session with A&S was quick and easy. They then worked with the builder to ensure the pool was completed on schedule - it was. After we "signed" on the pool, I did some more research on pool equipment and options, etc and sent a very long email to the A&S design person. He called me back right away and answered every detail point by point. We even made a few changes based on the discussion - no extra charges or hassles.

Once the pool was filled with water, the A&S pool technician came out to teach me the basics for operating and maintaining the pool. He was outstanding. He gave me his cell phone number and asked me to call him directly if I ever had any trouble. I took him up on that offer when I couldn't remember some parts of his instruction. He graciously went over it again - no waiting and no layers of buraucracy to get a simple answer.

30-days later another technician came out as scheduled to install the salt in the water and instruct me on the use of the salt chlorination system. He was extremely knowledgable and got me up to speed the first time.

Thus far, I've had three problems with the pool. The first was the heater for the hot tub. It worked fine in "manual" mode, but only heated the water to 80 degrees when in the "remote control" mode. They tried to help me with this over the phone but it proved unsuccessful. Luckily, the technician for the salt was coming in a few days and he made an adjustment to the remote control software and got me up and working painlessly.

The other two were pretty minor issues, but since one of the A&S executives reached out to me via email and asked if I had any concerns at all, I went ahead and forwarded these - I was mainly curious how he would respond. I was impressed. The two issues were 1) the water feature we have had a slight 'split' in the waterfall and 2) the cobalt blue plaster was a little 'splotchy' in areas. He responded immediately and scheduled one of the senior technicians come out and take a look.

This technician fixed my water feature in 3-seconds and told me that A&S allows for an "Acid Bath" treatment any time during the first three years of pool ownership. He suggested I schedule this just prior to the spring 2014 startup. He said it is done without draining the pool and will smooth out the colors as well as bring out the blue even more. One addional note - I've enjoyed visiting our local A&S pool supply store. The manager there is extremely knowledgable and friendly. He has not tried to sell me chemicals I don't need.

That's it. No cracks. No leaks. No products that don't work. When I call the local A&S office I speak to a real person right away. I call technicians directly if I have questions. My pool is beautiful and I've been told I can expect 25-years of solid performance before I need to worry about re-plastering. I couldn't be happier with our builder's decision to use A&S. I am in the Northern VA area and paid about $100k for the pool.