Waitrose Beckenham Store

• Layout of shop

Guest's review of Waitrose

“Waitrose Beckenham Store”

Written on: 25/02/2013

I have waited until I got used to the new layout thinking I may get used to it. But the few times I now shop there remind me why I do not want to shop there any more. They crammed the whole shop of items into a far smaller area, so they could accommodate a very large homewares department. Why, when we have access to such items in other shops in Beckenham and Bromley close by? It seems to me like a greedy grab for every penny. I seldom see anyone shopping in that area. The food aisles are narrow, the shelves too narrow to hold sufficient stock, and far too high. They are always running out of stock, while the staff are continually pushing large re-stocking trolleys into the aisles, and frantically trying to stock the shelves, forcing shoppers to queue to get past them while other shoppers are busy at the shelves. As for the staff packing the shelves they talk among themselves at the top of their voices about their social lives as if customers just don't exist. Please, even if you are a stranger to us, we do not want to hear about your doings. It is very irritating. Save it for the canteen. Like other supermarkets Waitrose has gone in for the two for one or buy one get one free offers. Which means that the person who only needs one item, particularly of perishable food stuffs, is paying a higher price, therefore subsidising those who take up the offers. Why not simply make the offers at half price for one item? It is reported that the majority of the extra packs gets thrown away. Very fed up with our Beckenham branch and prefer now to shop at Sainsbury for its wide aisles, well stocked shelves and reasonbable prices.

• Beckenham

Branch Visited

• General

• Quality of service

• Layout of shop

Biskit47's Comment

Written on: 25/02/2013

This sums up myself and my wife's thoughts exactly. BUT there is more. For a very long time (a couple of years?) there has been a very annoying incidence of "someone" putting items from one shelf to another location. IE. sausages put in the ice-cream freezer. Lately it has been manic. We have told the staff and management in person on this situation, but there is no change. Also shelves are dirty (wipe finger on to shelf of drinks rack !!) Loose rice and pasta not cleaned despite manager being shown these neglected areas.
For a company that is owned by it's staff, I'm at a loss to understand Beckenham's branche's attitude of lack of care to customer complaints and cleanliness of it's shelves.