Ok for groceries but avoid fruit, meat & prewrapped fish

• Quality of service

• Layout of shop

Guest's review of Sainsburys

“Ok for groceries but avoid fruit, meat and prewrapped fish”

Written on: 18/03/2012

I use the large Streatham Sainsbury regularly mainly out of convenience and spend about £5000 a year there. As we all know, prices have gone up a lot in the last year and the same amount of money buys a lot less.

Sainsbury meat contains a lot of water. The mince is pretty dreadful. Try frying it and get a pan full of water. Strain it, and start frying it all over again. The basic bacon is similar. I guess they are both 50% added water. The own brand taste the difference sausages I bought this week were also very watery. The local Halal butcher in Streatham High Road is better quality and cheaper except they don't do pork.

I always check the use buy dates on the ready packaged fish but it is still often already stinking when I open the packet, like the plaice I bought last week. The fish stall is usually OK but not as good as my local fish shop in Norwood High Street - but cheaper.

Sainsbury fruit is pretty hit and miss. Some of it is hard and rots instead of ripening like the Comice pears I bought on my last visit. You have to be careful when buying packaged fruit to check none of it is alrady rotten. Even then I still make mistakes.On the whole the local fruit stall in Norwood High Street is cheaper and better, as is the Turkish grocer in Streatham High Road.

So what is Sainsburys good for? MIlk, sugar, flour, eggs, olive oil, frozen chips, cheddar cheese, pasta, rice, curry sauces, tinned tuna, tinned beans, packaged cold meats, cheap pate, yougurts, fruit juices and smoothies, cat litter, detergents, wine etc. Its one stop convenience not quality that takes me there.

• Streatham Common

Branch Visited

• food, drink and groceries

• Quality of service