Allergy nightmare from a product I used to love!

• Ease of Application

• Durability

• Texture

• Water Resistance

Guest's review of Piz Buin 1 Day Long Sun Cream Lotion

Piz Buin 1 Day Long Sun Cream Lotion

“Allergy nightmare from a product I used to love!”

Written on: 12/08/2013

Please beware! Patch tests may not help you tell if you're allergic to this for several days!

I bought this because I'd used Piz Buin One Day Long lotion a few years ago, and found it great - really durable and excellent sun protection. However, it seems they've since changed the formulation, advertising its helioplex technology. I used this new one on a short trip to Portugal last week. Now I'm lying awake from a lumpy rash over most of my body - apart from my tummy, lower back and face, which were the only places I didn't use this cream. It's so bad I can't sleep, and is worsening so much I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. The rash first appeared on my chest and neck four days into my holiday, and I thought it was heat rash. But I returned to the UK (much cooler) the next day and it got worse, spreading elsewhere on my body, so I realised it was more likely an allergy. I Googled the sun cream when I noticed I'd only developed the rash where I'd applied it (thank goodness I used their facial sunscreen on my face, which I seem to be fine with) - really wish I'd done so before I bought and used it, but as I'd used it a while ago I thought it would be the same as before. I do have sensitive skin to like to still to known and trusted products.

My Mum seems ok after using it, apart from getting acne on her face where she did use the cream, so obviously not everyone using it will react like me. But I'd advise you not to risk this cream unless you've used the exact formulation before, over several days, with no reaction to it. I'm definitely going to write to Johnson & Johnson to complain, because I'm not sure enough people will realise it's this cream they've reacted to if, like me, the reaction took several days to develop. This is the worst reaction I've suffered to anything and will be binning this cream. Just hope this unsightly and painful rash nightmare will clear up soon!

Reallyneedtoknow's Comment

Written on: 23/09/2013

I too have had the same reaction to Piz Buin 1 day long. Having previously used it and had no problems. My fore arms so itchy, red and blotchy. I had to resort to antihistimines to get a good nights sleep. Only discovered it was this product when I ran out on holiday in Portugal and could not get it and bought another product. Within a day the itch subsided and I could even stop the antihistimines. After 3 weeks of this the skin on my arms is only just getting back to some kind of normal in apperance