Enjoyable food, & good value for money.

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

Guest's review of Shepherd and Dog, Ipswich

“Enjoyable food, and good value for money.”

Written on: 03/08/2011

Entered the establishment and was told to take a seat in the bar as my table was unavailable (table for 2), questioned this as there were clearly tables available but was informed that guest were bought into the restaurant in a timely manner to ensure a prompt and efficient service, this was not a problem and felt embarrassed i had doubted the way the restaurant was run. I ordered my drinks and sat down in the bar and was called through to my table 20 minutes later.

For started i had a black pudding fritter (would highly recommend), and a carvery for my main course. I had a healthy portion of turkey, beef and pork, which was carved by the pleasant chef. Broccoli was a little dry, but was informed more fresh stuff was on the way and was bought over to the table, the rest of the veg was lovely, (carrots with a bit of crunch, yummy!)

I felt i could barley manage a dessert, however was encouraged by our waitress to share one, we chose the Eton Mess, and glad we did, could have happily had one by my self.

I feel its a shame this restaurant has so many bad reviews as everyone around me seemed to be enjoying their meals, lovely atmosphere, shall be back again soon!

• British

Food Type

• First time

How often do you eat here?

• Casual

Atmosphere

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

Sniffingdog's Comment

Written on: 22/09/2011

I think you were sucked into the spiel about sitting in the bar to \"ensure a prompt and efficient service\". I think you are directed to the bar so as you spend more time and more money buying drinks before you eat. As you say there are always empty tables available when this happens so there is no excuse to be directed to the bar.