If you're in a hurry or want good customer service, avoid!

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

Guest's review of The Wheatsheaf Inn, Onneley

“If you're in a hurry or want good customer service, avoid!”

Written on: 04/12/2011

First impressions looked good. Nice building, plenty of parking space and even a play area for children. As I had my 4 year old with me, this place, so I thought, was ideal. Especially having read on their customised vehicle that they've won a 'Best Restaurant 2010 award'. Brilliant...

That's where the good news ends.

We were shown our table, which, considering there were 5 of us, was rather small and the waitress brought over an additional chair for the end of the table. I wouldn't mind but the place was not exactly busy. Hey ho...

We then ordered what I consider to be non-complicated, easy, quick food as I knew my little girl's patience span is limited, being a typical 4 year old. 3 x cold ham, egg and chips, 1 x homemade burger and chips and 1 x kids' chicken nuggets and chips.
After 25 minutes, the food was still not with us, with no updates from the rather gormless waitress. I say gormless because I told her that we'd be leaving in a few minutes as my toddler was getting restless, should the food not be with us. She informed me that she'd find out where it was. She did, but never bothered to get back to us, and instead just proceeded to clear some tables. I then asked her why didn't she come and tell me what the delay was and she just said she was waiting for an answer from somebody. Eh???!!!

The food took HALF AN HOUR to arrive, with no apology or reason for the delay.
Unfortunately, all the dishes were far too salty and the homemade burger had a funny taste to it. The kids' chicken nuggets looked undercooked, and indeed my daughter was up all night following our return home, throwing up. She hadn't eaten anything but her usual porridge that day. When I mentioned this to the waitress after she asked if everything was ok with the food, she just replied "Oh, I'll mention it to the chef".
Nobody got back to us though so we all left at least half the plate and couldn't wait to get out of there.

The worst insult was when my mother paid the bill and they charged her the full amount of £51!! In fairness though, after I'd expressed my total dissatisfaction with the food and their customer service, they did give a full refund for the food. We would have preferred a better experience though, especially as we were treating my other daughter who's a student and hadn't seen us for 5 weeks.

If this is what they're like with 3 tables occupied, God knows what it's like when they're busy. Shame.

• British

Food Type

• First time

How often do you eat here?

• Casual