Broke my bike & blamed me, don't buy from them.

• Quality of service

• Layout of shop

mhalliday's review of J E James Cycles www.jejamescycles.co.uk

“Broke my bike and blamed me, don't buy from them.”

Written on: 01/07/2014 by mhalliday (2 reviews written)

I bought a brand new bike from J E James Sheffield in January, it was ok apart from that the gears weren't adjusted properly and the back brakes didn't really stop me. I took it back for the six week service and asked them to check the gears and brakes, I don't think they did anything as they were in the same state after the service.
I tolerated this for a while, but eventually took it back in. They changed the brake pads, telling me it was normal for brake pads to wear out after 4 months of cycling 25 miles a week, and charged me for it. Again, I don't think they did anything to the gears as they were just as bad, the front set of gears wouldn't change down to the lowest gear. So I took it in again. This time they did adjust the gears. After this adjustment, the first time I shifted into the lowest gear on the back set, the derailleur got swallowed up by the spokes on the back wheel and the whole mechanism sheared off. I don't see how it could be more obvious that this was a result of a poor adjustment of the gears. I had to carry the bike home and took it in the next day, a Thursday. They said they would fix it for me on the Saturday and were quite apologetic. I heard nothing over the weekend, so called them on Monday. They hadn't booked my bike in and had forgotten about it. They said they would try and fix it that day. A few hours later, I got a call saying they had found a scuff on the derailleur, and that therefore it wasn't covered by the warranty. They agreed that the damage could be caused by poor adjustment of gears, but would not accept that this was what happened, despite the fact that the damage happened the first time I used this gear after they adjusted it.
After a big argument in the shop, they agreed not to charge me for the work, but completely denied their obvious responsibility for it, and told me that the work they did would not be covered by warranty.
So overall I would say that the Sheffield workshop is completely untrustworthy. They don't do work they say they will, they forget to do work, when they do poor work they can't admit it and try to shift the blame to the customer. Very shoddy operation

• SHEFFIELD