Why buy second hand when new is so cheap

• Quality of service

• Layout of shop

jonathan kelly's review of Decathlon

“Why buy second hand when new is so cheap”

Written on: 15/09/2012 by jonathan kelly (110 reviews written)

Popped into Decathlon after a futile trip to Canada Water to buy a used bike advertised on Gumtree.

They have a special bike only shop next to their usual shop. As by this time I was desperate for a bike to get me around I asked at the till if I could take a bike away with me and was pleased by the answer as not only could I take a bike away with me but they would also check it over and make any adjustments needed as well.

There was a nice selection of bikes in Decathlon starting at £100 up. So I had a look around for a good strong looking bike needed as I weight over 19 stone.

First bike I noticed as a single speed city bike. What the point is of a single speed bike in London? There are hills every where. It will be of very limited use so no good. Next I noticed a Rockrider 21 speed mountain bike for £100 and for £110 a hybrid bike. I sat on them both and found the Rockrider to be most suitable for me. This is as I need a strong, robust and hard wearing bike with lost of gears so I can get my bulk about town. I took the bike to the cash till and paid for it.

A young man then took the bike off me and but it on a special stand he had this was so he could make any adjustments needed to get the bike working perfectly. This took about 15 or 20 minutes as he kept being interrupted by customers wanting information.

Eventually then I was off on the Rockrider mountain bike 5 Zero with it's 21 gears. A happy customer after receiving such excellent service.

The bike has proved to be reliable and robust just as I expected it to be.

The only problem I have had is with the seat. The seat you see is a butt breaker that is as it is a tiny seat.

I have had to order a Selle Royal saddle to replace it as the standard saddle is so uncomfortable.

I have not ridden a bike for a year so I am not as fit as I would like to be and look forward to getting my new saddle fitted so I can use the bike for pleasure rather than just for necessity in the future.

• Surrey Keys