Big sound, low price!

• Sound Quality

hifinutz's review of Eltax Symphony 6

Eltax Symphony 6

“Big sound, low price!”

Written on: 19/03/2013 by hifinutz (0 reviews written)

Firstly, let me say that the "low price" is what the Eltax Symphony 6's seem to go for these days, and not what I bought them for!

I bought mine for £200 from Richer Sounds back in 1999, and I've been using them on and off since then. Given their quality, I'm surprised to see that they only go for about £40 or thereabouts on ebay.

The main difference that I'm aware of between the 6 and 6.2 is a slightly different bass reflex port - the 6 has a medium-sized single front port whereas the 6.2 has two smaller ports.

It's a very well made speaker and is a solid weight. I've had no problems with the reliability of mine at all in 13 years.

The sound is big and bold - it has quite an energetic top end, and also a big deep bottom end as well. The midrange is there, but is not as prominent as some other brands. It works particularly well with rock and dance music where it will shake the house given a decent amplifier running it.

They come with a cloth cover that runs down the full front of the speakers, and protects the cones and domes from little fingers. These seem to have little effect on the sound, so it's probably best they are left on as a dented dome will seriously drop their value as there are lots of unmolested pairs out there.

I wouldn't say they are the last word in audiophile hifi, but they are hugely enjoyable and well worth the pittance they currently go for.

• Over 1 Year