I could not be happier

Nec_V20's review of Weihrauch Silencer

“I could not be happier”

Written on: 15/01/2013 by Nec_V20 (9 reviews written)

I am a big fan of Weihrauch (I have an HW80 rifle and a .177 and .22 HW45 pistol) but I got this silencer for my .177 Brocock Grand Prix Super Six PCP air pistol.

At the back of my house I have a garden over 25 metres long with a breeze block back stop. I have never had any problems shooting with my Weirauch rifle or pistols, however when I got my Brocock Grand Prix Super Six I got a knock at the door.

Spring powered air weapons do not sound like firearms (unless they diesel) and so I could quite happily go into the back garden for an afternoon shooting.

The third time I took my Brocock outside, I came back in to get a cup of coffee and there was a knock at the door. I thought it was my friend coming round so I opened the door and said "Come in" without looking. In reply I heard "Excuse me sir". It turns out it was a police officer and someone had complained that I was discharging a firearm.

I invited him in and he looked at my air weapons and I test fired them for him and when it came to the Brocock he said, "Yes that's your problem, it sounds like a shooter". There is a definite "crack" to firing the pistol without any baffling quite different from that of my spring powered air weapons.

So I decided to get a silencer - the Brocock has a propriety thread on the barrel but there is an adapter to make it compatible with something that has a half inch thread.

The Brocock Grand Prix is already a bit on the heavy side and screwing on another weight onto the front of it was a bit troubling to me. I discovered that the Weihrauch silencer only weighed 110 grams and it had gotten good reviews. I contacted my gun dealer and he had not only the Weihrauch but some other ones in stock. It cost me £45.

To make a long story short, the Weihrauch was not only the lightest but also for my ears the quietest of the ones he showed me.

He said to me that the silencer would also result in my Brocock being more accurate, I replied, "Look you don't have to sell it to me, I need one anyway", and he said, "You'll see". The reason he gave is that the silencer reduces the turbulence which results at the muzzle of the gun. I will take him at his word because he has been shooting air weapons for well over 25 years.

How good is it? If I am shooting inside at a target on a piece of wood the pellet impacting the wood makes a lot more sound than the pistol does. I placed a microphone half way between the pistol and the target (I have about eight metres between pistol and target) and the recordings of the shots I have taken confirm this.

How about the claim that the silencer makes the pistol more accurate? I cannot really confirm or deny this because the Brocock Grand Prix is such an accurate weapon anyway. It however does not impair the accuracy of my pistol in the slightest. At 10 metres I can hit 10 out of 10 aspirins stuck on double sided sticky tape stuck on a piece of wood using the open sights (of course when the is no wind).

A funny story associated with this relates to someone who came out shooting with us with a friend of mine. When I shot my Brocock (with the silencer) he scoffed "It looks good but it doesn't have much power does it". So I went inside and got an empty soup can. I pressed the lid of the soup can in and filled it with water. I shot at the can from about 10 metres with an approx. 7.5 grain domed pellet and the soup can was penetrated, the lid was penetrated and the pellet came out the other side. I also shot at the base of a Frey Bentos pie tin and the pellet breezed through that as well. And no, my pistol is not above the 6ft-lbs limit.

The air pistols the others had were all around the 3.5 ft-lbs mark and were either spring or CO2 powered and of course their pellets/bb bounced off the can. They did however sound a lot more menacing than my anaemic sounding Brocock.

One word to my two HW45 pistols. None of my friends like shooting them, because although I can easily get a sub one inch grouping with them at 16 metres they cannot hit a coke can at five metres (the reason for this is the unusual recoil of the HW45 that takes a lot of getting used to and it is hold sensitive) so they use my Brocock which is far more benign.