SAK - Excellent Moderator

RRogerRabbit's review of SAK Rimfire Silencer

“SAK - Excellent Moderator”

Written on: 25/10/2011 by RRogerRabbit (8 reviews written)

It's as quiet as any of the competing models, but about a 5th of the price at £30-35!

I have tried the DM80, Wildcat, Whisper, etc - they are all much heavier, no quieter (to the human ear), and difficult to clean!

The SAK is the best moderator I've used for .22 Rimfire, and though I invested £130 in a DM80 for my 17HMR it's no quiter than the SAK I had on there before.

It's quiet, small, easy to clean (v important for the .17), and it's so reasonably priced you can replace it once a year if you want!

You won't ever silence the crack of the .17HMR as the round goes supersonic as it makes that sound after it's left the rifle! I'm sure someone will tell you that their .17 moderator is 2 decibels quiter than the SAK, but it still won't be silent and there is no difference that can be heard by the human ear or will make any difference to your hunting!

I bought the DM80 as I thought the reflex design would save length - it does, by an inch!... so pretty pointless and expensive!

I've spent a lot of money thinking that because the other moderators cost more they would be quieter... they aren't! I'd never buy any other type of rimfire moderator now.

Rrogerrabbit's Response to RRogerRabbit's Review

Written on: 22/04/2012

Ok so I've since tried the MAE Moderators - they're by far better than anything else I've tried... but they do cost £240 each as they're really a centre fire mod