DM80 = OK!

From 1 review

RRogerRabbit's review of DM80 Moderator

“DM80 = OK!”

Written on: 25/10/2011 by RRogerRabbit (8 reviews written)

*Re-written the below as have had a few more developments* I've tried these in 22 and 17 HMR Rimfire, and .243 - so I can give a good account (I ended up with 3 because the distributors decoying.co.uk are a bunch of shysters!). In .22 this moderator is typical of sound moderators in this price range, and costs £130 - it is almost identical in sound reduction to the SAK (costing £30), and though of over-the-barrel design it still extends in from of the barrel almost as much as the SAK. It is quite heavy in comparison to the SAK. They get a lot quieter with use – I was told by another owner of one of these to never clean it and it will get quieter as it cokes-up... he was right and it’s now pretty good! The design of the DM80 seems to change like the wind and though I have 3 DM80's (2 bought at the same time) they are not recogniseable as the same make - one has a rear brush; one doesn't. One disassembles by hand; the other needs an allen key... I spoke to Dave Mercer who makes them and he advised me there are a lot of his older models floating around and being sold as new by less than reputable suppliers, so beware! In .17HMR though I'm convinced there is a very slight sound reduction from the DM80 though none of my shooting friends can hear a difference between this and the SAK I had on there before. I used to regularly clean it out, however there is already significant corosion visible on the inside of the moderator and now I don’t clean it I’m sure this will worsten. In .243 I initially stated this was “HEAVY and CUMBERSOME” – However having seen a T8 and a Wildcat and felt the weight I think it’s actually good compared to these! It just feels rather heavy on the front of a light sporter like my rifle. It extends past the barrel further than the ASE Ultra. It isn't as quiet as the MAE T12 or ASE Ultra, but then these cost a lot more money so I guess you get what you pay for. So why do I have 3 of these - the first one was for my HMR as an experiment, and wasn't any better than the SAK. The second one I got as part of a deal with a .22, and whilst I was speaking to the distributor (decoying.co.uk) I asked if they'd do me a deal on a .243 model - they said they would and it would be with me in 5 days...A week later they still hadn't delivered so I tried to cancel - they told me it was custom work so I couldn't as work had already begun. An hour later they told me they had had a lathe issue and it hadn't been started! Again I tried to cancel, so they ignored my calls and emails for a week then said I couldn't cancel as work had begun!!! Then after I threatened legal action they got really nasty (I actually received a threat to burn my house down from someone with the same accent but I can’t prove who it was!). Luckily I found a buyer for the .243 so decided to cut my losses rather than have to speak to these bunch of cretins again. I’m decided on the MAE T12 which I’ve written a review for – they’re a lot more money and I guess it’s more a case of the DM80 having been sullied for me by Decoying.co.uk... if you go direct through Dave Mercer you shouldn’t have any problems as he’s a very reasonable guy, and his mods are very well made. My final comment on these is that they are probably the best moderator I’ve tried in this price range – so you won’t be disappointed if you go for one!

Mellor22's Response to RRogerRabbit's Review

Written on: 14/12/2011

I would say do a web search you will find around 90% of shooters who own and use these moderators rate them very highly.

reading thru the lines of your review it seems you have had a very bad experiance with the outlet decoying.co.uk more than the DM80 moderators.

Rrogerrabbit's Response to RRogerRabbit's Review

Written on: 15/12/2011

As a follow up to the above, the DM80 does get quieter with use, and I've been told by other users not to clean it until accuracy starts to be affected.

Dave Mercer (the producer) also got in touch to say sorry for the bad experience I'd had and gave me some advice on how to identify his newer model - let me know if you'd like details!

I think Mellor is probably right in that my experience has been severely sullied by my dealings with Decoying.co.uk, the newer one I have isn't bad but I still stand my my reccomendation of the SAK as a cheaper and nearly as effective moderator (just doesn't look anywhere near as cool!)