never would I buy one again

qwikshot's review of Winchester Super X3 Field

“never would I buy one again”

Written on: 25/07/2011 by qwikshot (1 review written)

I bought this gun in Jan 2011, before I even used it it malfunctioned. Put the barrel on, pulled back the bolt and it wouldn't come all the way back. Field stripped it right there, put it back together and went hunting. While out that day the gun malfunctioned three times. Every time on the third round the trigger jammed. Sent it back to Winchester, they said they fixed it by putting in a new trigger. I took it out and had the same problem. Sent it back to Winchester and they sent me a whole new gun. Took it out to test fire it at my trap club only to have the trigger and the safety both jam on the 28th round. On both guns, when the guns were stripped down you could see where the bolt was striking the receiver and knocking off metal, which was obviously falling into the trigger assembly and jamming it. Winchester has been very good about it. I sent the gun back and they're refunding my purchase price. I really did like the gun, but the design needs to be overhauled. I just bought a Benelli SBE II, I hope this works out, the design is something I've never seen before.

Motormadmarc's Response to qwikshot's Review

Written on: 13/11/2011

Hi qwikshot.

All i can say is mate , that you must have been very unlucky.
I purchased my 3.5'' SX3 12g Composite about a year ago and i have not had a single issue to date. The gun feeds all carts that i have fed it with ease and the recoil is virtually non existent. I can't remember having a single jam to date. My SX3 came with a 5 year warranty , that also gives me peace of mind , should any problems occur in the near future.

If anybody is looking for a fast , practical , reliable , good value autoloader , you won't do any better than to buy the Sx3.

Good hunting folks.

Qwikshot's reply to Motormadmarc's Comment

Written on: 11/01/2013

Well maybe Winchester has fixed the problem. I did love the gun, it was the best feeling auto I have ever shot. If you take the gun apart and look behind the nylon bolt buffer and see a little silver shine you'll understand what I'm taking about. I guess eventually it would have stop chipping off, but something was wrong. Winchester was good to me, can't complain about that. Glad your gun works well for you.
If you open the gun and look inside as I said I'd be interested to know what you find.
good luck

:Lou

Ss1980's Response to qwikshot's Review

Written on: 10/01/2013

Did you wipe off the camsoline it came in? Did you run a few boxes of hot loads through it first to break it in?

Life lesson -- always read and follow the instruction manual.

Qwikshot's reply to Ss1980's Comment

Written on: 14/01/2013

This is the last response I'm making about the SX3. I made the post two years ago. I'm not interested in getting into a debate, I posted my experience so others would be aware of the problem. I'm sure Winchester has fixed the problem by now. I know people do get testy when you say somethings about there guns and have a need to defend them. I don't know of anyone that puts cosmoline in guns anymore, but the gun was cleaned. I've never had to break in a gun in my life, a car engine, 20 years ago maybe. Sorry I don't have the pictures I took of the damage to the receiver and the trigger group anymore to post, but it's possible you could find them on the net if you look hard enough, I'm sure they're out there somewhere. Do you think Winchester would have given me a second gun and then refunded my money including the sales tax I paid if I did something wrong?

I've owned and shot a lot of guns in the past 54 yrs., have owned guns from $60.00 to $15,000.00, I think I have the right by now to make a judgement call.

Know need to get uppity with your life lesson

Lou

Qwikshot's reply to Qwikshot's Comment

Written on: 21/01/2013

After reading some more post I thought I'd write one more answer. Read how many people shot boxes of ammo through the gun before it stop jamming. Do you think the receiver had no more metal to give up? I do. Looks like more people had trouble with the SX3 than not.

Lou