40 Years of Reliability

AKWalrus's review of Mossberg Model 500

“40 Years of Reliability”

Written on: 24/11/2012 by AKWalrus (1 review written)

I purchased my Mossberg 500 in 1972, a few weeks before moving to Alaska. Since it was a display model with a couple of scratches, I paid $72.00 for it. It came with a 28" full choke barrel whichI promptly replaced with an 18" slug barrel fitted with iron sights.
This shotgun has been a constant companion in the decades I've roamed the rivers and mountains of alaska by foot, truck, 4-wheeler, canoe and riverboat.In all conditions and temperatures and it never ever let me down. It's compact powerful and handy.
While actually hunting I used a rifle due to greater ranges etc. but for around the camp, fishing, or just bumming around in big bear country this rugged and reliable shotgun can't be beat. I suggest Brenneke slugs for big bears. With a sling, that short barrel hangs low on the shoulder and doesn"t get hung up while going through thick stuff.
I doubt I'll change a thing but if I had the mind, I might replace the U-shaped rear sight with a ghost ring sight.
You won't find me complaining about this old reliable friend.