Needs improving, there are better alternatives

setasoso's review of Yamaha Majesty 400

“Needs improving, there are better alternatives”

Written on: 07/02/2013 by setasoso (4 reviews written)

I owned one from 2008 to 2011. The acceleration was very poor. It improved a bit on fitting a J Costa variator, but the still sluggish performance made it dangerous joining fast traffic on motorways.

A buzz developed on the exhaust heat shield as it loosened, but despite tightening the screws as hard as possible, the screws came out, the shield dropped off and got destroyed by traffic behind me. A replacement cost £160 including fitting. By the time I sold it, the buzzing was back as it worked itself loose. I've seen quite a few Majesty 400 with bits missing from the exhaust, now I know why. Absolutely nowhere solid enough to mount a GPS. Finally, it's wider than other 400 cc scooters, so weaving through traffic was harder than it should have been, making me wish I had bought a narrower, faster T-Max instead.

Otherwise, good build quality, space below the seat for two full face helmets, a couple of usefull compartments in the dashboard, one of which could be locked. Very good weather protection. It always started the first time.

Watch out for service costs - this scooter (in common with others?) had many expensive air filters that needed regular replacing.

I replaced it with a Honda NT700, a great move :-)