Lil B Jog R 2002

Guest's review of Yamaha Jog 50 R

“Lil B Jog R 2002”

Written on: 23/03/2013

I bought the scooter at the end of last year from a popular auction site from a local seller. I rode the bike home with no problems it kick started first time, and has done every time since. The electric start still doesn't work, I have replaced everything apart from the wiring. The bike is quite small I am over 6ft but my wife is only 5ft so we needed something we could both ride. I have a full motorcycle license but she can only legally ride the bike in its 50cc guise. I was a little disappointed with the performance (40mph flat out) both exceleration and top speed. My other bike is a Firestorm VTR 1000 but it was only a 50cc. I found insurance to be on the high side the first quote was for more than I pay for my other bike and I am just over 50. I bought the scooter to go on the back of my motorhome whilst touring Europe. However, I cant keep anything standard for long even the motorhome is chipped and has upgraded suspension. I upgraded the shock on the bike as I am carrying a bit more weight in my old age and the bike will be mostly used two up I have also fitted a rack for a top box. The uprated shock is slightly longer than standard which has sharpened up the steering and greatly improved the road holding from the 11 year old standard one. I have also fitted a 70cc big bore kit (iron barrel) to get a little more performance. It can now keep up in the traffic. I also changed the variator and reduced the weight of the rollers to get a little more acceleration. This action didn't change the top speed just the way it got there. I have also carried out a thorough service when I found the transmission had three times the amount of oil in it than it should (110cc). I have found the brakes about adequate, to cope with the power upgrade I have fitted new performance pads and shoes. I also replaced the rear brake cable which was too stiff and acted more like a switch. Overall I have found parts prices very reasonable however, every part has been replaced by an upgraded product. I have found the bike very easy to work on and would be a great way to learn about mechanics. I would recommend the Yamaha to anyone old or young.