Does not do what is on box

• Clarity of Instructions

• Map Accuracy

TonySomerset's review of TomTom XXL Europe

TomTom XXL Europe

“Does not do what is on box”

Written on: 01/06/2011 by TonySomerset (13 reviews written)

Replaced my 710 version with this almost all singing and dancing version. My usage did not justify the live traffic updates and live route planning, so I thought I had selected the right model for me.
First things, boxed instructions so sparse as to be useless. You do need to initiate your TomTom in car before anything else. There are three spring clips that hold the slim line unit onto the screen windscreen mount. Time will tell how they survive heavy usage. Everything is slimmer and neater than before. The angle mount feels very firm and there is a satisfying click as the screen is rotated around. Again time will tell how reliable in use over cobbled streets.

First downside, the car charger at the bottom of the unit is a righthand cable feed, so it dangles over the air-vents, rather than a lefthand feed to suit UK. The cable is as before rigid so is not easy to slip out of the way. So no magnetic auto-docking on this model

Out of the box there is no unit protection. You have to buy an accessory, if you feel like me, the need to protect the screen face as it is carried around off the car.

From previous experience not too happy about the screen mount so have bought at exorbitant cost as an accessory, a soft removable adhesive mount for the dashboard.

The wider screen enables all the usual trip information to be displayed clearly and easily visible. The new colour scheme seems to enhance visibility, until you are driving into the sun of course. Some new preference and menu additions added to the already extensive choices, so the good has just got better. The one must buy addition, the advance lane guidance has yet to be tried out by me. Hoping it lives up to my expectations.

Now for the big big downside. The unit no longer has an SD slot so relies on a fixed built-in memory, there is no scope to expand. When you go to update your map you are suddenly confronted with a choice of a selection of parts of Europe. There is insufficient onboard memory to store all of Europe. All of a sudden your all Europe satnav has become a partial Europe only. Presumably the more option you choose to download, in terms of voices, symbols etc, the smaller covered of Europe you end up with. I bought a satnav that would take me from UK across Europe to Poland. I end up with a satnav in use that will take me from UK to Germany but I then have to discard that map and, I believe, yet to tested as true, download a new version of Europe that does include Poland. This is very bad mis-selling of the product, unless I have missed a trick along the way.

The next big downside. So slow to connect and so very slow to download, it crawls along and that is with a moderately fast connection. I dread to think what will be my fate when I try to change maps via an Internt Café!
Such a shame, a so promising units turns out to be the fabled pigs ear. Strikes me there are just too many TomTom alternate formats that they have lost sight of the core business. My advice, look elsewhere.

Powerhousesteve's Response to TonySomerset's Review

Written on: 27/03/2013

I also have one of these and it is pointless me adding anything as this reviewer has hit all of the bad and good points, I was also annoyed about the extra maps needed to be downloaded while travelling in Europe.

Duke_Nukem's Response to TonySomerset's Review

Written on: 29/05/2013

Nice to have a detailed informed review (instead of "It's great, just got it home, can't wait to try it !") even if the detail important to the reviewer is not necessarily relevant to some others.

Eg, sounds like the first "big downside" is only so if you wish to travel the breadth of Europe.

The second downside (slow to download) is only so if you are having to swap maps in wayside internet cafes if you are affected by the first downside.

Sounds fine otherwise.