Mitac Mio Spirit 575 Review

• Clarity of Instructions

• Map Accuracy

Herman.mitt's review of Mitac Mio Spirit 575

Mitac Mio Spirit 575

“The Mio 575 as a unit is pretty average, with some...”

Written on: 09/01/2012 by Herman.mitt (3 reviews written)

The Mio 575 as a unit is pretty average, with some good potential, but if you own a Mac and not a PC you will be in for a very bad deal. Mitac do not support the Mac platform, and from the day I bought my 575 unit the maps were out of date. This may seem a small problem - just update them - and the unit came with guarantee that if the maps it contained were out of date I could update them free of charge.

BUT, I could only take advantage of this facility and update my maps if my computer was a PC and ran a Windows operation system. When I took issue with them, they informed me they were 'considering' producing a Mac version but could not tell me when this might be available.

My Mio 575 although generally OK in the UK constantly gets lost, especially in France, because the map software is so out of date. I cannot update it because I don't own a PC and their only response was basically, tough luck, get a PC.

So my advice is, if you don't run a Windows PC don't buy a Mitac sat-nav. My other sat-nav is a Garmin and it works fine, I can get updates through my Mac and I am not treated like a second-class customer by their tech support. Unfortunately my Garmin is in my other car in the UK and I am in Switzerland with a duff Mio 575.

• UK and Europe