OK but not amazing

reviewkitten's review of One Day (2011)

One Day (2011)

“OK but not amazing”

Written on: 26/09/2012 by reviewkitten (295 reviews written)

I had heard great things about the book of One Day so when it came onto Sky I thought I would give it a go.

The film follows the relationship of two former students, Emma and Dexter, who meet one day and almost get together but over the following years continue to meet up as friends with varying success.

The lead roles are played by Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess. Hathaway's English accent is pretty dire as it moves from sometimes cockney, American to touches of god knows what but after a while I tuned it out. As with many films that span different decades the visual effects for aging the characters can seen very obvious. Dexter's "hair" is greyed but it just looks totally wrong. Anyway.

The film itself seems very run of the mill. It's a will they won't they story that (spolier alert) eventually ends in tragedy. I didn't really like either of the main characters as they seemed very one dimensional and selfish. My favourite scecnes always included Patricia Clarkson and Ken Stott.

It's an OK film but seemed to drag towards the ending that I saw coming as soon as the film started.

• Anne Hathaway, Jim Sturgess, Ken Stott and Patricia Clarkson