Only suited to beginners

Chubbers's review of Mill Farm Riding School and Trekking Centre

“Only suited to beginners”

Written on: 24/06/2012 by Chubbers (2 reviews written)

I booked to go to Mill Farm after reading the vast amount of great reviews, after visiting I now know the reason for the good reviews - everyone is using a 'Groupon' voucher and has never ridden before (or barely) and have nothing at all to compare Mill Farm with. I arrived at the centre and spent a few minutes looking for someone to help me, I eventually did and was told to wait for the others to arrive and everyone would drive to the mini bus, in the meantime I was welcome to look around. On looking around at the stabled horses in the outside yard I was pretty put off by the fact they were all stood in their own mess, I couldn't see any clean bedding at all, they were all stood in a wet and mucky mess - not very good. I waited 30 minutes. We were then asked to follow another car to the mini bus then we were taken to the trekking centre. Staff were pleasant on arrival at the trekking centre. Though very nice, the people I was to be riding out with either hadn't ridden before or had ridden once. When I called to book my hack I was asked what level my riding was and I explained I had been riding for 30 years, owned several horse of my own the last being a 17hh competitin horse and competed at a decent level - why then was I put on a beginners hack??? By this point I knew I'd wasted my money (I must be the only person in the North West without a Groupon voucher and had paid £45 for this). Nearly an hour after I had initially arrived at the riding school I finally got on a horse. The route was basically around fields and very wet and boggy ones too - the horse were knee deep, not safe to be riding on at all. The whole route was walking with 4 strides of trot - not my most exciting hack! We returned back to the trekking centre having been out less than the 90 minutes but I was happy to return to be honest. The staff were pleasant enough most of the time (like many 'instructors' they can be a bit 'know it all' when its just not necessary!) but it lacks organisation and some of the horses could be better cared for. If you can ride there are far far better places (Northfield Farm). If you're a beginner then might be worth a go - but only as long as you have a Groupon voucher!