Nasty attitude towards children & parents

Arturo1976's review of Holmescales Riding Centre, Cumbria

“Nasty attitude towards children and parents”

Written on: 07/08/2014 by Arturo1976 (1 review written)

Took my two children here for a riding lesson after having been several times in the past and finding it great. I watched from the side with a group of family and friends, eager to see my children take part in a leisure activity that they both love.

The instructor stood in the middle of the arena barking orders at the group of children and did not move nor help them. My son at 8 years old, seemed one of the youngest and the instructor put him at the front of the group of riders. He is not confident at the best of times but seemed frozen solid the more she barked at him. "IS THAT A 20 METRE CIRCLE? WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING?" she screamed at him from leaning on the poles in the middle of the arena. "I told you to hold the reins SHORTER!!" She yelled at him, before marching up to him and yanking his hands off the reins and jamming them back down lower. Despite him trying his best, she threw her arms up at my son and other children in the group. No-one was smiling. No-one was having fun. Even my other child was frozen solid, scared to put a foot out of place.

I went to see the manager who assured me that this was one of her most popular instructors. She returned with me to watch the lesson and the minute we stepped foot into the arena the instructor clocked her, painted on a smile and started running round with the horses and showering the kids with praise.

Returned reluctantly for another pony day that week (which had been paid for in advance) to find after 2 hours when I rang to see how my son was, that he had been put with the same instructor and was so frightened that he wouldn't take part at all. I went to collect him and asked for a refund and was treated with contempt and a smug rudeness by both owners who refused to refund my money or even listen to my concerns.

Keep well away. There are much better riding schools out there who care about the riders, not just collecting the money from their parents.